Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Planting under row of conifers

I have a row of conifers, as you can see in the picture attached to this post. I have today cut all the lower branches off, to let in light. Thee area is now looking rather empty and lifeless, so I am looking for ideas to give it some zing !

The soil will need attention first, as its never been touched for 6 year. Its full shade in this corner also.

Love to see any photos of your gardens that have planting underneath conifers. And look forward to suggestions on what to do with the soil, and plants to put in here.

Thanks in advance !imageimageimage

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

I have lots growing under conifers. Here is a photo.  I have a seeper hose that I switch on for an hour a night in the summer. The conifers are east facing, very large and quite old.  I mulch with pre packed farmyard manure each spring.

I grow the following directly under the conifers.

Vinca (Periwinkle)

Dahlias

Rose (Rosy Cushion)

Spotted Laurel

Hellebore

Solomons Seal

There is a Clematis Montana Rubens growing through one conifer and a pink jasmine growing through another (the jasmine is planted to the side of the conifer not under it)

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands