Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Planting up

Hi all, I have this Yucca style plant and it flowered last year.  Beneath it there are 2 -3 young plants - can I pot them up or is it best to leave them where they are ? Any advice greatly appreciated.  Thank you.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I would pot them up using a loam-based compost with lots of added horticultural grit. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks I'll give one a try.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Are they seedlings or are they runners/suckers/offhoots?

I'm just interested, you can pot them up as Dove says whichever they areimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Oh I'm not sure - didn't even give that a thought. Just assumed they were seedlings ! How would I know the difference ? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Seedlings will just have roots. The off-shoots will be joined to the parent below the soil.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thank you - I'll investigate over the weekend. If it's an offshoot do I cut it off from where it is joined to the parent or from beneath the new plant ? 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Cut it off as close to the parent plant as you can. You will probably need a breadsaw to do it.They are really tough.

• Ok thanks. And pot up the whole offshoot ?