6 messages
27/11/2012 at 23:22

Hello,

Do any of you have any ideas for a low growing ground cover plant located around a pond?

28/11/2012 at 06:50

We'll need a bit more information - is the soil damp and boggy or is this a dry area?

How much sun/shade does the area get?  

What else do you have growing there?

And is your soil acid or alkaline?

29/11/2012 at 09:56

Hi Martin

Assuming the soil around your pond is damp and has reasonable light, I would consider geum rivale and oriental primula hybrids [both short] or for something a bit taller how about astilbes, lythrum and rodgersia

29/11/2012 at 17:47

Partial shade, moist. a large variety of plants already there. Bergenia, mimulus, monarda etc. Slightly limey soil but has been enriched with topsoil

Thanks for the advice Nigel

01/12/2012 at 11:55

How about Ajuga/Bugle-? low growing, will spread fairly quickly, lovely flowers in the Spring which insects love and think it will generally grow any where

02/12/2012 at 03:40

I've got some lovely lime green frilly heuchera I use to edge my pond. Mine's called 'Key Lime Pie'. 'Lime Rickey' is good too. Foliage stays on all year and trails slightly into the water, hiding the edge of my liner, and both above will stay vibrant lime in partial shade rather than going yellow. I have it with bergenia and polemonium in conditions much like yours and it does beautifully. xx 

email image
6 messages