London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
07/02/2013 at 20:10

Hi Advice needed on any plants that would look attractive and thrive between a concrete path and an old stone wall, site sees a little afternoon sunshine and is very shallow soil.

07/02/2013 at 20:24

I would suggest rather than planting into the soil-in that situation- use containers

That way you can have some annuals,bulbs etc as well as some permanent plantings.

07/02/2013 at 20:24

How much space have you got emilym? Width and length and height of wall.

07/02/2013 at 20:35

Wall is 5ft in height, 8ft in length and distance between wall and path would be 15 inches. Thanks for suggestion sotongeoff but I dont think I can fit containers and get the wheelbarrow past them, the paths has walls both sides. A little like an open passage way between gardens, a little bit like in old fashioned terrace gardens

07/02/2013 at 20:39

I get what you mean-at the moment hard to visualise-a picture would help-it does not sound an ideal planting area

How shallow is shallow as regards soil?

07/02/2013 at 20:48

I think you're going to have problems getting much to survive in 15 inches of shallow soil emilym. How about filling in with decorative pebbles? You could probably get a few things to survive but they wouldn't please you much. 

07/02/2013 at 20:51

Hi both yes I think I am hoping a little, the soil is a good 4 inches and weeds grow  there pretty well, shame they are not pretty to look at in most cases! I shall attempt to take a photo tomorrow in the light and upload it to help visualise. Thank u!

07/02/2013 at 21:20

have you thought of planting mimulas (monkey flower) it only needs a couple of inchs of soil and will grow and flower in deep shade it will also survive temp's -10

regards

07/02/2013 at 22:35

When we were in Porthleven, Cornwall last year we saw some really pretty pink daisy looking plants growing in the walls and paths and I have been looking for some for our rockery but we have no idea what they are called.. Does anyone in Cornwall have an idea please? 

07/02/2013 at 22:41

I have a border just like this. it is full of mixed perennials which spill over the edge of the border and soften the hard, straight edge and cfreating the impression of a wider border. We put in a plank of wood and made a raised bed against the wall. Frankly, I stuck in plants that I had dug up from elsewhere, rooted cuttings and bulbs. It geets good sunlight. I just varied the height of the plants, so that some add height, others flowing over the edge of the bed. I tried to provide a long flowering period with hellebores and aquilegia for early interest, osteospermum and cranesbills for season-long flowers, lavender for scent and japanese anemones and crocosmias for late colour.  It looks great, though I need to add more seasonal bulbs.. There is a similar very narrow bed along the whole length of our very long drive and I treated it similarly. This bed is no more than 12" deep but the plants bollow out frm it and it makes the most of the space and helps hide the horrible wall.

07/02/2013 at 22:42
How about Houseleeks and other shallow rooted alpines?
07/02/2013 at 23:18

It depends what you mean by very shallow soil. What is under that soil? Solid concrete that won't drain properly, or just sand stones and gravel etc.? If the last then Leggi has the best approach; use easy alpines or bulbs. If you know nothing about alpines just look in the garden centre. Anything you get a lot of for your money is an easy alpine in general. Sempervivum, Sedum, Erinus, Dianthus, Campanula, Armeria (Thrift) etc. Several small bulbs should be OK, such as Grape hyacinths, crocus, snowdrops, the smaller alliums (onions) eg. chives or ornamental speacies. Maybe liriope or some of the coloured leaf sedges. Just look for the smaller grass like plants in plant sales.

08/02/2013 at 08:13

Or a raised bed and added topsoil.

08/02/2013 at 08:31
Summerpots, I think you may be referring to Erigeron
08/02/2013 at 08:46
Geraniums like Russell Pritchard may well grow there. Vigorous, tough, adaptable almost evergreen (for me anyway) and would prob put up,with little,sushine and poor soil. Floweriing all season long but prob less flowers in shade. There are geraniums that thrive in the shade...Phaem Margaret Wilson for example which has silvery green foliage and purplish flowers on and off
08/02/2013 at 08:50
Alchemmila Mollis (Ladie's Mantle) would do well there, and the daisy that another poster mentioned, the Erigeron, but they're both low growing. Sounds like Gardening Grandma has a lovely mixture growing, year round interest as she says. But I would be wary of the Japanese Anemones, they are lovely but I fight a constant battle with them to try and stop them taking over.
08/02/2013 at 08:52

Fleabane? It's a pretty pink - white daisy, very airy, self seeds freely, can cope with being trodden on and is low on height, though I don't know if it needs sunshine. Also, wouldn't some geraniums survive? They seem to pop up everywhere. One other plant that loves a crack in paving is Echium Vulgare Blue Bedder - the bees absolutely love it. I grew 3 plants in my very small front garden and thought I'd got them out before seeding - I was wrong, as my neighbour can testify! Just as well he appreciated them growing through the paving and path, and just about everywhere else. Hope this helps.

08/02/2013 at 09:05

Erigeron karvinskianus! One of my favourite plants.  Masses of daisy-like flowers which start off white and change gradually to pink, then purple, flowering for a good six months.  I had some growing between paving stones on my old patio - it obviously thrives in a thimbleful of soil and selfseeds well.

08/02/2013 at 11:09

Erigeron karvinskianus! Emilyn, that's the fleabane I was on about. That's 2 shouts for it. Will certainly cheer up an overlooked corner. White will look really good and jump out as the night begins to creep in.

08/02/2013 at 11:19
And may self seed into the wall too.
1 to 20 of 24 messages