Start a new thread

1 to 16 of 16 replies

Please can anyone tell me what plants can be planted in complete shaded areas in my garden

Dizzilexia

Ferns like to live in shaded areas. If you have a forest of woodland area near to where you live you'll see them growning amongst the tree in abundance.

I read sweet woodruff will go along with shade as well. They have white blossoms in May/June and smell nice. There is always ivy as well, the most shade resistant plant I know of. Avoid any varieties with white markings, as in complete shade the white will fade to a sickly pale green. Rather go for some dark leafed varieties with an interesting leaf shape.

I have two dwarf rhodedendrons growing quite happily after three years in almost permanent shade. They only get a little sun for the first few hours of the day.

Dizzilexia

Sarcococca hookeriana (Christmas Box) also do well in shaded areas - they're slow growers and are highly scented ground covering plants

Advertisement

Percy-Grower

Helleborous Niger (christmas rose) is a rather easy to grow, shade loving plant..

Lamium will do well in shade also

Aconites grow well if you want to plant bulbs and cyclmn grow quite well also shrub wise Aucuba japonica Rozannie ( nice berries in autumn) and dark glossy leaves. .

Brunnera is superb in dry shade Cant kill it

Also Dicentra formosa .blue divided leaves and white hanging flowers

Foxgloves, astibles, snowdrops, heuchas, and aqualejas all do ok. probably all ,is-spelt but you get the idea or at least goole will.

Thank's, a friend of mine has a house with a small back yard which is in complete shadow most of the day, she would love to be able to grow some cheerfull flowers, your suggestions are most welcome.

Bunny ...
I have hellebores , ferns, dicentra, geranium (phaeum) white and deep red , campanula alba , grasses in mine at the moment .
LeadFarmer

Hostas should grow well in shade.

Advertisement

If totally shaded I would plant ferns....they come in a range of colours and shapes. Hostas would grow there, prob not flower though, but they would have to be green and not the variegated ones. Some carex and acorus and I think liriope....grass like foliage and purple/blue flowers in autumn.....would grow well there. A fernery would be very nice, and classy!