Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plants for cracks is paving stones

I had  to remove my decking from my patio, mainly because it started to rot but also because it was harbouring mice underneath.   I am now back to having ugly paving stones.  Could you advise me which plants are suitable for planting in between the cracks.  Some  areas  will be walked on quite a lot and others not.   In the same way some areas are directly in the sun and others in the shade.  Many thanks for your assistance.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

The creeping thyme is a favourite for that situation, its tough and wears well plus you get the aroma when it's trodden on.

• Many thanks Dave.  Any idea when I should plant.  Also presumably I scrapes the gaps and fill with compost.  Do I need to add a little fine grit.?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Grit is good idea Sally, being herbs they need good drainage, sharp sand rather than compost would be my preference or just sharp sand. I'd leave the planting a few weeks though. There's still plenty of time for rain and frost to haunt us.

• Excellent, many thanks

• I bought a plant called Tunica Saxifraga and that has seeded and filled a lot of cracks in my front path.  It is walked upon constantly and does not seem to suffer.  It is a neat compact plant with numerous dainty small white flowers tinged with pink.  It flowers over a long period and looks very pretty softening the edges of the path.  See site for photos.

I also have a pink double one but that just will not self seed but it is long lived as I have had it for many years.  Definitely drought tolerant as it is planted in full sun in south facing pebbles in SW France.

www.seedaholic.com/tunica-saxifraga-petrorhagia-saxifraga.htm

• Many thanks Elizabeth  I had a look at the website and it looks ideal for the sunny areas. Would you suggest that I sow the seeds on situ  or in seed trays and then pot on.

• Knowing how easily it grows from seed, I would drop a few seeds in the cracks with a little bit of compost or grit and let nature do its best.  It really does grow everywhere on its own and it spreads so easily but it is not difficult to keep under control.  Looks delicate but is tough as old boots.

• Should I do this in the spring?

• I would, once the weather warms up a bit.  The paving will hold the heat from any sun you get which will help germination.

• Many thanks Elizabeth  I look forward to having a little of SW France cheering  up my garden