Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plants for tubs

Jules21Jules21 Posts: 5

Please help! I have recently started a job as a TA in a local school and I have been asked to plant up a couple of large planters in our outside area. I'd like each planter to have all year round interest however the plants I choose can't be toxic or have berries. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

What about some 'sensory' plants?  Some herbs like rosemary, sage, thyme and different mints - all of them smell good when you touch them, also lavender and Lad's Love (artemesia).  You can get different coloured sages and thymes, purples, golds and silvers to vary the planting, and most of them (well, all of them except the mint) will stay in leaf over the winter - and the mint will reappear every year. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Jules21Jules21 Posts: 5

Thank you, great idea - I have rosemary in my garden and I've just googled how to propagate that - wish me luck! J

Thank you. J

Please can anyone tell me what this plant is? I inherited it from a neighbour and want to know how to propagate it. J

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Its a Saponaria - not the native form but a type sold as a rockery plant.  Can't remember it's common name.  I'd try taking softwood cuttings about now - details here http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=307 image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Thank you. J