London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
17 messages
25/03/2013 at 22:28
I have lots of plants raised from cuttings in my garden.....just as most people have....ranging from conifers to alpines. Suggestions please for perennials that can be quickly propagated by cuttings....penstemons, osteospermums,.....to provide cheap quick colour. I think this may be a useful thread for new gardeners
25/03/2013 at 22:39

This is a brilliant idea! I could really use some help on easy cutiings, as I have failed until now

25/03/2013 at 22:46
I had you in mind Ryan for this thread.
Am sure the suggestions will flood in for you and some useful tips too to ensure success
25/03/2013 at 22:47

I get the dunce's cap for cuttings, even after lessons on this forum. I shall follow and take notes.

25/03/2013 at 23:02

Good idea, Verdun! I am far from an expert and anything that is easy for me to do really is easy.

Fuchsias are really easy. You are supposed to take non-flowering tip cuttings, but they can be hard to find and I have found that flowering ones strike just as well. I just take a cutting about four inches long, strip off all the leaves except one at the top, dip the cutting in rooting gel and put it in moist compost with the leaf junctions under the surface. You are supposed to mix compost with coarse grit or vermiculite to improve drainage, but again, I have found that ordinary compost works perfectly well. I put a plastic bag over the top and apart from checking that the compost has not dried out, leave it alone for about four weeks, after which it has usually rooted. I then take the plastic bag off and keep it in the shade to grow on. There is some danger that the stem will rot if the compost is too wet, but actually it seldom happens to me and I've taken lots.

Some people think that you should not cover them because of the danger of botrytis but I think it is only really a danger if you put too many cuttings in one pot and they go short of air. I only ever put one or two cuttings in a 3" pot.

As Verdun has mentioned, penstemons and osteospermums are equally easy. I would not cover osteospermum cuttings - they root perfectly well without this and like to get plenty of air.

26/03/2013 at 08:47
Pinks and Carnations really are so easy. "pipings".....shoots pulled off from around the bass ....will root quickly and bulk up to flower later in summer. Fantastic scent and the bonus is they have wonderful "blue" evergreen foliage. You can quickly build up quite a collection of these by buying small plants and taking cuttings, and cadging cuttings from friends and neighbours. I once had a large bed of pinks with colours ranging from white to pink to red to purple to multi-colours for little expense ...and the scent, wow!
26/03/2013 at 09:03

Morning campers. Snowing again in Sheffield. The easiest plants seem to be osteospermum, penstemon, perennial wallflowers, fuschia and pinks. My procedure is:

take cuttings 3 to 4 inches long using a sharp knife, place cuttings in a plastic bag until ready, [ stops them drying out ]

prepare loose mix of compost [added grit or vermiculite ] in 3 inch pots; using sharp knife trim cuttings below pair of leaf axils;

strip off all lower leaves; dip cutting into hormone root powder then insert cuttings [ may need to make hole with pencil first ]; water and cover with plastic bag.

If taking cuttings from plants with large leaves it helps to remove part of leaves left on cuttings. I do not cover cuttings of plants with grey leaves eg wallfowers as they do not like having a very moist environment. I also think that the earlier in the year that you take cuttings the better they will take.

If you should want extra cornus or buddlea you can easily take cuttings from the prunings you take at this time of yeat by simply taking 12 inch lengths of the prunings and inserting them deeply into compost. They will be ready to plant out in the autumn

26/03/2013 at 09:14
Thanks Brum
26/03/2013 at 09:27

Hydrangeas and leycesterias (Himalayan Honeysuckes also root really easily from cuttings.

26/03/2013 at 09:30

Verdun, re the pinks. When can I do this?

26/03/2013 at 11:17

I never have much luck with cuttings. I shall have to have another try

26/03/2013 at 12:33

Any idea for Rosemary?

26/03/2013 at 12:45

Rosemary, so they say, is actually easier to grow from cuttings than from seed. Simply do as others have said with the above plants. Cut a decent stem off and pull down on the bottom half of the stem, stripping away the fragrant leaves. Dip the bottom (read somewhere you shouldn't dip too far as it can cause the stem to rot) in rooting hormone of some kind and insert into compost until it reaches the leaves.

One thing I would say is important with Rosemary cuttings is the compost mix. I feel they do better with equal parts seed sowing compost and vermiculite. They really do need good drainage as they like it fairly dry anyway. Always go for seed sowing compost as anything else may have too much nutrients in it and be too strong for the fledgling plants. Also, also, if you have bottom heat, such as a propagator/heat mat, this will always speed up the rooting time of cuttings as it draws the roots down. You'll know if it hasn't worked because they go all manky and horrible!

26/03/2013 at 12:50

Reading-wise, which is the only way I have to learn as I don't really know any other gardeners, I can't recommend enough 'RHS, Plant Propagation, Kenneth A. Beckett' and 'RHS, Propagating Plants, Alan R. Toogood' are exceptional books. The Alan R. Toogood one is brilliant for the amount of pictures it has.

Lyn
26/03/2013 at 12:59
I put a couple of bit of fuchsia in water last Saturday, they have already made roots.
26/03/2013 at 13:34

I listened to a garden phone in on the radio and the garden expert said that hormone rooting powder was only useful for about a month after opening. He said it went off really quickly. I never realised that.

26/03/2013 at 13:51

I find Sedum Spectabile (Autumn Joy) one of the easiest plants in my garden to propagate.  It really is as simple as snipping a piece of and sticking it in a pot of gritty compost.  I have lots of them around the garden and am always cutting bits off when they get to big for their space.  They provide lovely colour at the end of the season and attract many bees and butterflies. This photo was taken in mid September.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20559.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

email image
17 messages