Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plants safe for rabbits

Sharon67Sharon67 Posts: 3

I would like to plant some shrubs and flowers in my garden that would be safe for my pet rabbits (who roam freely) but ones which they preferably will not devour. There are so many conflicting lists of safe/unsafe plants on the Internet that I'm confused! 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

Hi Sharon. If you look online for rabbit resistant plants you might find what you are looking for. I could make suggestions but I don't know whether they would be safe if a bunny decided to have a nibble.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Sharon67Sharon67 Posts: 3

Thanks both, I've seen many sites with lists of rabbit resistant plants and a lot of those plants are listed on other sites as poisonous to pet rabbits. That's where the confusion lies!  I suppose the gardeners suggesting the rabbit resistant plants are referring to wild rabbits and so they don't care if they are harmed! I'm hoping that someone will give me a list of what they have in their garden that hasn't killed their pet rabbits (and hasn't been demolished)! 

• mushermusher Posts: 389

I think I'd be more fretful of a feline predator mutching about.

• mushermusher Posts: 389

May be contacting the RHS , they mean't be able to unrival any confusion

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I'm with pansyface, it a rabbit can eat it, it will. If it doesn't eat it, it'll probably make him poorly if he did.

Devon.
  • Sharon67Sharon67 Posts: 3

Thanks all, think your right that if the plants are safe they'll just eat them. Have put in some rabbit friendly lavenders and salvia so far. Day 1, salvia razed to the ground, lavender still in tact so far but they were probably stuffed full of salvia!! May have to stick to some tall pots! 

• iceice Posts: 332

My friend sticks mesh or upside down hanging baskets etc over things bunny's shouldn't eat completely, think of things that plants can grow through but offer some protection for the plant too