Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plants to create privacy

I have moved into a house with a low 3ft picket fence on one side of the back garden. I have lovely neighbours and like the sociable side of a low fence but wouldn't mind making it feel a little more private. Especially as the other side of the fence is my neighbours driveway. 

Its a new fence and budget is low, so a taller fence isn't an option. i think trellis could look strange behind a picket fence. It is also a north facing garden so I don't want to create a permanent shadow over the garden with a tall hedge. So I'm thinking taller plants might be the way to go. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for tall plants that I could use? Or any other suggestions for creating a little bit of privacy that I haven't already considered? 

Thanks in advance

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

How much room do you have, meghan? A hedge of beech or hornbeam would give privacy and can be kept tight and narrow, unlike many other hedging plants. Simple to look after, keeps their foliage over winter, and as we're approaching bare root season, it would be very economical to put in. image

It does depend on what time you have for maintenance too. Evergreen shrubs like Eleagnus, Viburnum or Osmanthis would also be ideal, but they need a little bit of room to look good. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Do you want this privacy to be all the year round Meghan? If you do, as herbaceous plants die down in winter and deciduous shrubs lose their leaves  medium growing evergreen shrubs would appear to be the best choice. Besides the good suggestions already made, there is a large range of cotoneasters, some of which will fulfil your criteria.

• Thanks for all your suggestions. In answer to your questions, it is for all year round ideally and space is limited as its a long narrow garden. 

I'm going to do some more research before deciding but I like the sound of the grasses so far.