Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plants to grow to Flower in May

Hi All

Just looking for some ideas as to what to grow that will Flower in May. Last year was my first full year in the garden and I was a bit frustrated that after the excitement of the daffs and tulips that nothing happened and I was sat for 3 weeks willing the roses to bloom ( which happened when I was on holiday so I missed it ????) . I'm in Edinburgh. 

Thanks Kirsty 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Late flowering tulips, wallflowers, Narcissus poeticus and camassia are all flowers that bloom in May, however they really need planting in the autumn. You may be able to find some in containers in the garden centres. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hi 

Asiatic or Orientel Lillys bulbs will flower with profusion in May to June and will provide some striking, vibrant colours in reds, oranges, yellow and pinks 

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

I always think of May as when the aquilegias bloom, and wallflowers. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

My foxgloves usually pop up at the end of May but perhaps not so early for you up in Scotland. My forget me nots come up in May for sure with Honey Lily bulbs & last year the Purple Sensation alliums/bearded Irises. Even the oriental poppies made an appearance towards the end of the month.

Like Dove says Camassias too, as well as flowering cherries, crab apples & rowan trees. Lots of shrubs to choose from, Pyracantha peaked mid May for me. 

Last edited: 18 January 2018 18:29:49

• Aww thanks all. I had forgotten about the Alliums I planted last year. I will get some forget me not seeds as well and bear the rest in mind for next year 

• Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

Lilac is another beauty for May, wonderful scent and many newer, more compact dwarf varieties available now. image

Last edited: 19 January 2018 09:12:19

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,091

Geraniums, geums and lupins all flower here during May, as do the perennial wallflowers. The heavy lifting for colour is generally done by euphorbias, with a splash of alliums, siberian iris, durch iris, aubretia, verbascum and early foxgloves and oriental poppies. The wild part of the garden is a mass of cow parsley at this point

I took these photos on the 24th and 29th May last year. Green is pre-dominant, but there is plenty of blossom in amongst. We're in the south of England but at fairly high altitude so we're usually several weeks behind the south east of the country - and probably a few weeks ahead of you. It was a mild spring here last year so I think the oriental poppies and bearded iris were probably quite advanced compared to 'normal'.  The aubretia and siberian iris were really beginning to go over a bit by this point, so they may work for you for mid to late May

Last edited: 19 January 2018 09:39:04

Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.”