Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plantus Unidentifidous

ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I'm not a flower plant person. Vegetables and fruit I can deal with, but all these plants that pop up and flower are lost on me. I can't even guess what they are!

This rather large and terribly beautiful plant / weed has been growing up by the garage quite happily. Its in what is the designated wildlife / overgrown / where ill looking plants come to die / get a second chance / are stuck in the ground and fingers are crossed area.

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz113/LadyClarington/20140607_170433_zps1buqqosb.jpg

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz113/LadyClarington/20140607_170440_zps3us7cfry.jpg

It stands at about 4 1/2 ft high.

Any suggestions as to what it is?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

looks like a delphinium

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

snap BBimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Doesn't just look like a delphinium - I will bet money on the fact that it is a delphinium image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

It's lovely.  Definitely not a weed.  Lots of people struggle to get them going. 

Just a thought - if you've not known it was a delphinium, and consequently you haven't been surrounding it with eggshells, coffee grounds and grit and inspecting it half hourly, what do your slugs, snails and delphinium moths think they're up to???  Slackers the lot of 'em!!! image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Maybe they don't hang out behind the garage Dove - they're probably lying in wait in the flower beds.  Clarington has taken them by surprise.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I just let it grow like a weed - occasionally running it over with the wheelbarrow, catching it with a lawn mower, squashing it with big feet as I tried to reach the things propped up against the garage, oh and it spent about a month with a ton of sand on top of it not long after it started to grow. I take it this is not standard good delphinium husbandry?!

There are plenty of slugs in the garden I can assure you - those holy hosta thingys were proof enough. My resident frogs just don't seem interested in keeping the ping pong of life balanced!

It seems to be on the dangerous list for chickens alas (we're keen for the chickens to roam a great an area as possible so it'll only be the vegetable garden that's fenced off - all other flower beds will be defended as required if I want any chance of the herb garden being usable!) so it looks like some research is needed as to whether I can move it out of potential suicidal chickens way or whether its future in this garden is limited image

The sand will explain why the slugs/snails didn't attack it when it was young and vulnerable!!!  Good instinctive gardening skills there Clari!!! image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I find that once a delphinium is established, the slugs and snails don't bother it.image