London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
9 messages
07/08/2013 at 11:35

Hi,

I was hoping that someone could help me identify this plant.  I have just moved into a new house and my mother-in-law thought it might be poisonous.  I have two young children, so needed to be sure!

Thank you for you help.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28940.jpg?width=518&height=350&mode=max

 

07/08/2013 at 11:57

These are the berries of Lords and Ladies.

Yes they are poisonous.  Take it as a good opportunity to teach the children not to touch anything in the garden however pretty.  Please do not destroy them, they are part of the Natural World.  There are many, many things around us every day that are hazardous, but in the main cause no harm.

07/08/2013 at 15:09

Many Thanks for your help and quick response identifying those. 

07/08/2013 at 15:13

Show them to your children and tell them that they must NEVER touch or eat anything like them or any other plant which they do not know. Always have them ask you before touching any strange plant. This includes Mushrooms of all varieties.

As a retired Medic take my advice and dig them up with plenty of soil where they are growing and put them in the dustbin as soon as possible. Poisonous plants are just that, POISONOUS and a threat to life, especially young children.

It is nonsence to suggest that toxic plants should be allowed to grow in any form of garden even if they are in the `Natural World`. The same goes for 10 foot pet snakes - look what happened to those two young brothers a couple of days ago!

07/08/2013 at 17:47

Since an awful lot of plants are poisonous to humans (and many to animal) and some are toxic (Difference is toxic ones kill, poisonous ones don't. normally), our gardens would be  very much poorer places if we took them all out. Let's face it carrots are poisonous as are Lettuce......if you eat enough of them.

Had a garden full of such plants for 45 years and children in the garden for 44 of those years and we ain't lost one yet.

Arum maculatum berries are so unpleasant that no one would ever eat more than one (supposed to be like eating a mouthful of needles) and one berry is not going to kill.

Very diffficult and emotive subject really.

07/08/2013 at 17:51

Oh come on!  Laburnum, Woody Nightshade, Laurel, Foxglove, most bulbs, to name a few.  Have you ever heard of anybody being poisoned by them?

07/08/2013 at 17:56

Too right.  Teach the children to leave well alone.  My garden has a pond and lots of plants like digitalis and aconitum and American poke salad and she's now a strapping 18 year old who, unfortunately, only uses the garden for sun bathing and playing with the dogs.  Not intersted in plants or gardening - yet.

07/08/2013 at 18:58

Hi, could someone please identify this small tree / shrub. It is a about 10ft tall with clusters of tiny white flowers great for bumble bees. It flowers in July / August and has 'flakey' bark.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28959.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

 

 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28960.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

 Many thanks, N.

07/08/2013 at 19:30

Hi

Looks as though this could be an Olearie (daisy bush) . We live on the South Coast and have several in our garden. They are very hardy down here and grow to at least 20ft. I prune it regularly to keep it under control. And it is very forgiving, my husband always shudders when he sees me with secateurs or hedge trimmers but it shoots back quite quickly with nice new growth.

email image
9 messages