Start a new thread

1 to 13 of 13 replies

laney john

hi  can you help me i am trying to find out what this plant is thanks laney

nutcutlet

Is it white rather than the hint of pink in the pic laney? The leaves look like philadelphus. Is it scented? Any small detail you can provide helps with ID

laney john

Sorry, I have only had a garden that i can do anything in for 2yrs..   Its like a tree, with long bendy branches.  flowers r white and scented..the perfume not too strong though. thanks. xx

addict

Could you take a picture a bit further back so we can see the form?

laney john

yeah,  taking one now, upload in a min. x

Advertisement

laney john

here you go its quite big

nutcutlet

i reckon that's a philadelphus

addict

Me too and needs a good prune lol

laney john

lol yeah i know i am trying ting to train it a little 

once its flowered i am going to chop it right back down 

thanks for your help x

laney john

Has this particular shrub a specific way of pruning??  or should i just hack it right down???It needs bringing under control without killing it cos its lovely.. x

Don’t make my ill informed mistake before I knew what a spade was all about! I pruned at completely the wrong time and had no flowers at all the following year. Last year however, once it had finished flowering I pruned aprox one third of the old stems right to ground level. It’s now looking full, lush and with what looks like a million flowers (which are just bursting out today).

laney john

sweet  .. my stems r Reallllyyyy long..  its about 20 ft high! x might just have to bite the bullet and chop it right bk. x

Dovefromabove

That's good advice DebG - take out a third of the old stems when it's finished flowering.  Next year after flowering do the same with another third of the old stems, and the following year do the same with the remaining one third.  That way you'll have completely rejuvenated the shrub without losing any flowers.  

A sprinkling of Fish, Blood and Bone each spring and it'll be a picture