London (change)
Today 13°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
11 messages
15/06/2013 at 16:07

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25583.jpg?width=720&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25584.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Hello from a massive plant and gardening newbie here

Last year my friend gave me this plant saying it was from her own Bleeding Heart stock that was growing ever so well in her garden. I took it home and sadly didn't see much growth from it last year and was disapointed when I thought it had died when it withered back. The start of spring gave this plant, which happens to be my favourite, a massive push and it just started to grow, spread and bloom in a matter of weeks. It's still blooming and growing more now and I wish I could put it into the ground to see how much more it could grow but due to living in a Army Quarter I cannot.

Today I noticed that it started to produce seed pods and instantly went online to see when the best time would be to start collecting them so I could sow them and plant more next year. Now I was completely stumped after typing Bleeding Heart into google to find my plant looked nothing like the plants online. I decided to do a lot of research and came across the Aquilegias. My plant looks quite a but like this type, the foliage and flowers look the same, but is this right? Please could someone confirm for me so I can learn more about my favourite plant or give me the proper type and put me on the right tracks

Thank you for reading

xxx

15/06/2013 at 16:09

You are right,it is an Aquilegia.

15/06/2013 at 16:11

Thank you lots It is such a beautiful plant. Any ideas on what the best time would be to start collecting the seed pods?

xx

15/06/2013 at 16:14

When the seed pod is ripe and brownish and you can tip it upside down and the seeds fall out. Or you can just let them drop where you want them to seed. 

15/06/2013 at 16:15

I let the flower heads dry out a bit  and then cut the heads off with a bit off stem and put upside down in a paper bag,the seeds will then drop when ready into the bag.you can then spread these round the garden. .You will probably find some of the seed will fall naturally around the pot and these will come up next year.

15/06/2013 at 16:20

aquilegias are very promiscuous and don't usually come true from seed you could buy a packet of seeds or take root cuttings from your plant.if you have a look on the picture gallery 2013 i posted pictures of some i grew from seed last year

15/06/2013 at 16:34

You may well have originally had a bleeding Heart-Dicentra- and this has died. Aquilegias pop up all over the place and it is highly likely that the soil you were given had the aquilegia seed in it and this has now taken over. I love both.

15/06/2013 at 19:26

I thought Aquilegia was a weed! (Didn't know its name until I saw this post).  I'll stop frantically digging them up and see what happens, thanks.

15/06/2013 at 19:31

Hi Tesni - they come in lots of different colour combinations and have lots of common names too- columbine, granny's bonnets etc. Very useful plants.

honey bee -If you like the Dicentra too (bleeding heart) it' s usually very easy to get as most GCs and nurseries will stock it. Comes in pink shades and also white. It grows well in a shady site.

15/06/2013 at 19:40

Thanks for that Fairygirl - will do some research now I know what it's called!

15/06/2013 at 19:48

Careful.  Bleeding heart attracts slugs!  Put lots of sharp grit around the base.

email image
11 messages