Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Please help Identify this shrub

Anyone know what this is ? I used to have this woody shrub with strongly scented flowers in summer and covered in fluffy seeds in autumn. It died of honey fungus and I would love to replace it but have no idea of the name.

• By the way the woody main stems are not green - more a rough beige colour.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Hi Tony, it's one of the Daphnes I think, but I don't know which one I'm afraid. Someone else will know I'm sure. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thanks Fairygirl - I have had a look but cant quite find one that meets all the criteria.

Anyone know - Is there a Daphne with fluffy seeds ? Also the stem when cut is yellowy inside.

Other suggestions were rhaphiolepis indica and Acokanthera but both have fruits so cant be.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I don't think it's a daphne.

More photos with the whole shrub, the stems and the fluffy seeds would helpimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • sorry tony cannot try monty don

• Sorry have no photos - the one I posted were from a plant I saw that was very very similar but the seeds on mine were like that on a salt myrtle or groundsel bush.

• Osmanthus? I have no idea what the seeds look like though. No apparently this has berries

• Olearia haastii?

Found this on the internet - This is very similar to the seed show

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Are you saying that the plant in the photo isn't the one you want IDd?

In the sticks near Peterborough