Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 20 replies

Dovefromabove

I found this in one of my borders this morning ... I don't recognise it and don't remember planting it ... although I've had some helpers doing stuff in the garden while I was laid up, I don't think anyone planted anything I didn't know about.

I really don't have a clue what this is ... any ideas? 

hogweed

That looks really interesting   !

B3

Is one flower growing out of the middle of another? - that's weird

Joyce21

Not a clue but I like it

Advertisement

Dovefromabove

Well, I'm relieved you lot don't recognise it either ... I thought I was losing my touch   but now we need to know what it is .............. 

Papi Jo

Can we please have more details about the plant? How wide are the flowers? It seems to be growing among hostas; it the soil very wet there? Is it a lonely specimen or do you have a few of them? Does it smell? What do the leaves feel like: rough, smooth, etc. What about the stems section (square, round).

Last edited: 03 August 2017 10:29:40

Hostafan1 says:

where's nut?

See original post

Quite.

How interesting. It doesn't look like a thing that self sows, does it? 

Last edited: 03 August 2017 10:39:09

hogweed

Phlomis is the only flower I can think of that has a flower coming out of a flower. Off to have a look at uncommon varieties. 

Dovefromabove

Doh!  MU you've got it ............ I had a few Monarda seedlngs Sarah Raven's Monarda 'Bergamo' that OH planted out for me a couple of days after I broke my foot ... I was so teed off and in such pain that I just told him to plant things wherever there was a space and they'd either survive or they wouldn't ...  but I thought he'd put them in the back garden.

That bed got so rampant while I was laid up that I thought they'd not survived ... but one of them must've done ... as you say MU, it's not the best example of its type but it's had a lot to compete with in that shady corner, which probably isn't the best spot for it.  I wonder if any more have survived ........ when the drizzle stops I'll go out and have a look ...

Thanks everyone ... especially MU 

Last edited: 03 August 2017 11:18:47

Pat E

That looks like it josiecube. Very pretty.

Dovefromabove

Josiecube   that does look more like 'my Mondarda' than the pic on the seed packet that I have from Sarah Raven ... 

If I can find any more that have survived we may know whether it's a random wrong seed or the whole packet full.  

Advertisement

nutcutlet
Hostafan1 says:

where's nut?

See original post

You don't need me, Josie can do it. 

I think 'Bergamo' is a hybrid, M. citriodora is probably one of the parents. This looks more like the species than the hybrid

Dovefromabove

Nut   

I'll have a look for more next time I go out there ........ 

nutcutlet

Do the bees like it as much as M. didyma?

Dovefromabove

I'll keep an eye on it ...  haven't seen any bees on it yet ... but to be fair it's been in the shade up until a few minutes ago, and the wind's blowing a hooley here now ... haven't seen many bees in the front garden this morning, but lots on my runner beans earlier on 

Dovefromabove

I've found some others ... a bit swamped by a salvia and some rudbeckias    (the garden did get away from me a bit this summer )... they're much more like the ones on the seed packet ... think the one in the photo I posted must've been an odd stray seed ... fascinating ... I must keep an eye on it.