Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Please identify this plant

Hi

I didn't see the flowers. The seeds are small and black

Thanks

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

Ummmm - pretty difficult to identify from leaf and seed pods alone.  Plants are categorised by their flowers, so it makes this quite hard.  I think that I would make sure that it didn't self-seed (in case it's a thug) and save the seed to grow in pots to see what happens.  You never know - it may be something quite special!

(There may be someone out there, however, who is cleverer than I and will be able to help you.)

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Probably welsh poppy - meconpsis cambrica. Once you have it, they will pop up everywhere.
  • Wow you guys are fast.

Thanks so much for your replies. I've just got an allotment so my interest in all things of nature has increased a lot. I've kept the seeds and I'll plant in a pot next year. image

• It looks as though some of the seeds may already have been distributed!

• yes, a lot of the pods were empty

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Well at least you know what it looks like now...believe me, no need to save seed!
  • gardengirl6gardengirl6 Posts: 223

I love these simple poppy flowers.    I have them in my garden, more and more each year, both in yellow and a few in orange.   I have never planted them, they just arrived.   I agree with Figrat - definitely no need to sow seeds!

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

In fact, it might be an idea to deadhead them in future, or they grow to pest proportions quite rapidly. They are perennial, with a thick taproot, and will re-grow from any scrap of root.

• Welsh poppies - meconopsis cambrica. once you have them they will take over which is lovely if all you have are weeds. V hard to control.

• curlyonecurlyone Posts: 31

Hmmmm I spotted these for the first time this year on a path I walk down to work, I absolutely fell in love with it, the yellow flower I thought was stunning.  Once the flowers died back I picked the seeds pods to plant in my garden - wondering if I should now image