Start a new thread

1 to 9 of 9 replies

Good afternoon all, I have just had a delivery of hardy geraniums delivered. I have prepared the soil, do I plant out now or pot on? Some are bare roots others are plugs. Many thanks for any comments.

Fleurisa

I'd pot them on first, they might need hardening off too

fidgetbones

I always pot up small plants or bare roots, and for hardy geraniums put in a sheltered position or coldframe. When they are actively growing and the pot is full of new roots, then I would plant in final position.  That way, if you have any failures, they are easy to spot (and complain about)

Malcolm Harrison
I agree - pot them on and plant out when roots are
well established.

I potted my recently delivered bare root hardy geraniums a week or so ago and popped them onto my conservatory windowsill.  They are sent up shoots and are  about 3-4 inches high already!  As its predicted to be mild and dry over the next few days I will put them out in a sheltered spot until I find a space to put them

Advertisement

An update since I last posted on 10 March - plants are now romping away in the sunshine and I will plant them out in the next couple of weeks!

Be careful everyone, it's forecasted colder again this weekend!

Thanks 'LL'  - they are in a sheltered spot and living in Cornwall we are fairly lucky with hard frosts (or lack of) - famous last words!