Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

polyanthus

witchwitch Posts: 31

I have a window box of polyanthus, but shortly will replant with geraniums ,so help please can I put the polly's in the garden tucked away in a shady spot , in damp or dry till next year,

• nightgardennightgarden Posts: 112

I moved pollies from my window boxes to a shady damp but not wet part of my garden last year - they started flowering several weeks ago and are still going strong. A friend did the same and hers are still going after 4 years!

• witchwitch Posts: 31

Thank will try that , they still look nice so would like to keep them. 

• Mine were dobbed in and around garden for some colour about 9 weeks ago and now I don't know what to do as I will have bedding plants going out as soon as strong enough. my garden isn't large enough to hide them away image

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Can't you leave them in situ, the flowers can come off and the bigger outer leaves, your bedding will grow around them, and then next spring you will have beautiful new polyanthus to enjoy then.   Some of mine have been in the garden for years, and just get better and better, they are no problem when other flowers are out, their leaves are innoffensive and quiet, not detracting from anything else. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

There's probably not a lot of room to plant around them, in a windowbox image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Agreed, but the origianl poster did say the polyanthus were going to be planted in the garden after blooming in the window box.  I have had a chuckle at the size of window box required to get around and plant around - wow, that is indeeed some window ................

They have been in pots in the window box , yes it is faily big , and they still look lovely ,,thanx one and all ,     window needs some cleaning too Bookertoo

• cassiencassien Posts: 5

get another pot and Bright blessings to you and your plants

cassien

Gonna do tomorrow ,  weather permiting    no will do it anyway quite warm down here in Essex , we do not all wear white stilletos ,or dance round handbag ,, well only on a fri night