London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
5 messages
06/06/2014 at 13:01

Good afternoon I hope someone can help me.  I have trawled "tinternet" for days without any luck trying to solve my problem.

My oriental poppy  'Princess Victoria Louise' has flowered for me every year with no problem, however, this year it has grown as normal but just before the flower heads were ready for opening they have turned brown, gone very brittle and then just disintegrated.  The plant itself looks very healthy and lush as did the stems on which the flower heads were attached.  I am so disappointed and don't know what I should do now other than cut them right back and start again.  Can anyone advise.

06/06/2014 at 13:31

This seems to happen from time to time. I dont know if I am correct, but I have always put it down to excessive damp. The plants will be fine.

06/06/2014 at 13:45

Thank you.  I have removed the damaged heads and will just keep my fingers crossed.  I bought the original plant from Eden Project a few years ago and it is as beautiful poppy I would hate to lose it.

06/06/2014 at 13:50
06/06/2014 at 14:47

Mine have suffered from this in the past and then been successful the following year.  Three out of four of mine have been fine this year (a couple of Patty's Plum and an unnamed peachy/pink one), but my most mature plant (which often has 30+ open flowers at a time) started to shoot earlier in the spring and then completely disappeared with no sign.  Not sure what happened as slugs and snails dont usually seem to bother them.  Oh well, will either have a dig around in the autumn or see what happens in the spring!

email image
5 messages