London (change)
Today 9°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
12 messages
06/07/2012 at 09:14

I have always sown my seed into  pots and trays then pricked them out etc because sowing straight into the ground doesnt work for me. I dont get anything come through. How do others sow HP and HB seed for poppies/ also if I cut the seed heads off will it still prolong the flowering season or should I leave them to self seed

06/07/2012 at 09:22

This year I'm experimenting, I am cutting off the first seed heads to see if any new buds appear.  I will leave some heads on later to ensure that I get some seed.

06/07/2012 at 09:40

I dead head the majority of mine but I am leaving 2 different ones so that I have seeds for next year. I am obviously lucky and just sprinkle mine around the garden.

06/07/2012 at 11:06

I leave the seed heads on and they self seed, from one plant that came from nowhere i now have a patch of lovely large red poppy's and one yellow which again just arrived, probably birds.

Frank.

06/07/2012 at 13:24

As it is another rainy day I have spent another morning in the greenhouse but I luv it . I have been setting a load of seed including my poppy seed in 6ins pots . I then leave it outside amongst the border plants . It is the next nearest  thing to setting directley in the ground for me. I then transfer the whole lot in a clump.

06/07/2012 at 14:23

I leave the heads on mine and let them self seed. i also cut a good few heads and save the seed for my homenade bread.If I want them elsewhere in th garden, i just cut the whole plant when it is dry, and shake it in the general area where I want them to grow. You can always transplant any that seed in the 'wrong' place.

06/07/2012 at 19:43

I collected 6 different types of poppy seeds from friends and neighbours last year and scattered the whole lot across a bed under my magnolia tree. I'm disappointed to say that not one plant came up. Not a sausage! I'm gutted to say the least. Yet nextdoor have plants coming up all along the tarmac path and in cracks of walls. What did I do wrong? Am I likely to get some next year instead?

06/07/2012 at 19:58

Poppies like disturbed soil, give the ground a good hard raking and see what happens. It might be too late for this year but it's worth a try I guess.

I sowed some poppies as late as October last year in my Mother in Laws garden and they started flowering beautifully and early about a month ago and are still going now.

06/07/2012 at 20:29

I had the same problem with Welsh poppies. I scattered the seed all around the garden, along the edges of walls and even cracks in the drive. Not a bean! All I have are the few that self-seeded arounf my original plant.

06/07/2012 at 22:35

Actually Doris I've had a rethink about my advice, wait til early October, rake it over chuck some more seeds down and you should have strong flowers early next summer.

07/07/2012 at 16:57

Many thanks I'll try that. Someone told me that poppy seeds are known to lie dormant in the ground for years and then suddenly pop up. Fingers crossed.

07/07/2012 at 19:04

I think the disturbed soil may well be the answer. 

I've spent years sprinkling poppy seed in the borders & hoping it will take. Most of the time nothing.

Last year we pulled everything out of a bed, dug it all over to try to get rid of the bindweed, filled it with bulbs & rose bushes.

This year it is totally smothered in mauve & purple poppies. None of the large varieites, more the wild ones that I sprinkled from the field. Still, it proves the theory. They'd obviously been lying dormant until the soil was dug over. 

I'll let some self seed but will collect dry heads & probably guess they should be planted in spring in seed trays.

email image
12 messages