7 messages
06/02/2014 at 19:29

I want to put some poppies in the garden this year.

I'm worried that the seeds might blow into farmland next to our property and create a problem. the farmers a big bloke.

I could do my best to deadhead and hope to keep seeds blowing around to a minimum. 

I see the crops being inspected just before harvest each year and wondered if anyone knows what would happen if poppies started growing in the farmers field. 

06/02/2014 at 19:37

I'd be more worried about what chemicals are being blown into your garden when the farmer sprays his field!  There are probably poppy seeds already in the soil of the fields as they stay viable for at least 60 years and possibly centuries.  The farmer may well spray herbicide to kill everything a few weeks before planting his crops anyway.  I honestly wouldn't worry about a few stray seeds from your garden - there will be far more pernicious wild weeds invading it anyway.

06/02/2014 at 19:39

I agree with Bob.I would be more worried about the farmers chemicals than your poppy seeds.

06/02/2014 at 19:46

Poppy seeds don't really blow, they're little hard things which drop.

06/02/2014 at 19:55

Never thought of any of those things. Great.  I will get selecting the seeds. thanks all.

07/02/2014 at 06:52

I wouldnt worry about the poppy seeds in the farmers field. Most fields around me have wild poppies growing in them anyway, its a sign of rural Britain at its best, golden corn and poppies together

07/02/2014 at 12:10

I agree with Bob, you grow what you want, if the Farmer doesn't like it send him round here.

email image
7 messages