Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Possible garden shrub help

Cleo13Cleo13 Posts: 106

Hi, can anyone suggest a shrub I could put in my front garden?

The garden tends to get the sun mostly in the afternoons, soil I suspect is acidic due to the colour of my hydrangeas. The spot I'd like to plant something is currently surrounded by gravel, but has matting underneath it. 

Many thanks image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Choisya ternata would be nice Cleo. There's a golden variety as well. Evergreen. Does it have to evergreen or does that not matter, and can it be any size? Any colour preference?

Azaleas, Rhodos, Camellias and Pieris would grow well there too if your soil is acidic.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Cleo13Cleo13 Posts: 106

Thanks fairygirl. I have a golden choisya in back garden, forgot about that possibility.  It would be nice to have a flowering shrub,lovely, I don't mind what colour. Possibly something that would not grow too large image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I like Potentillas for a long flowering season. Deciduous but they start into growth quite early. Flower colours from whites, creams, yellows through to deep oranges and the odd red. Hebes are great for a well drained spot. Evergreen and all sorts of varieties. Bees love the flowers - whites, pinks and purples. Both of those are pretty easy and readily available. Lots of the Azaleas come in dwarf form so they're slow growing and you get lots of colours, and Pieris are slow growing too. The new foliage on those is nice after the little white flowers at this time of year.

I have Osmanthus burkwoodii for the first time in this garden and it's very nice. The scented white flowers are lovely,and it has dark green foliage.

My mind has now gone blank! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • I've just planted a vibrumum buckwoodii in the front garden. Hope to reap the scent in the spring.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

The advantage of choisya is that it's good and shiny all year. Some of the best flowering shrubs have nothing to offer for the rest of the year

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • valrobbovalrobbo Posts: 20

An evergreen Sarcocca (Christmas Box) is one choice, heavenly scent during the winter. A another choice is Black Elder (Sambuscus) dark purple foliage with pink flower clusters, they look good as a specimen plant and can be kept to size by pruning. Any of the Viburnhams are worth having.