Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Possible Sempervivum flower?

Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I planted a Sempervivum in my Belfast sink and this flower has appeared in the last few days.....I didn't think it was a flowering type so my question is, does the flower belong to the sempervivum or is it a different plant and if so what is it?

This is a better picture of the Sempervivum, it is a bit hidden by the Geum at the moment.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Definitely a sempervivum.  I think they'll all flower given the right conditions.  image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Oh, wow, I didn't realise.  I thought the cobwebby thing on the plant was the 'flower'.  It must like it in the sink underneath the Geum image I'll have to make sure Lily sees this thread as she liked the sempervivum when I bought it.

Very pretty flower too image Thank you ladies.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543

Lovely sempervivum flower.

The rosette that produced the flower will die off but I see you have plenty of 'chicks' to take over.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

Thanks for that madpenguin, I didn't know that.  I'm totally new to Sempervivums and sedums so all info helps image

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,659

Oh wow OL, thats pretty, did I have one of those in my bowl planter? Will have a quick look in my pic file. Sure I had a cob-webby looking plant, sorry just woken up on sofa lol.

Old pic, all plants in this pot much larger, is this the same plant OL, will look at pot/plants tomorrow.

I think the one at the bottom with the cobwebby type stuff on (I'm very technical!) is the same one. I can't find my label, will have to look back on the thread for the name.

Did you see the pic of my large semperwhatsit that I bought a few weeks ago, not sure the exact name as it didn't have a label. Not a cobwebby one tho.

That's pretty image I was never a fan really of rockery type plants, until recently. They are very pretty and actually quite interesting to look at image
    Found it Lily....from my Belfast Sinks thread

'The one at the bottom with what looks like cobwebs on it is yes, the one I bought yesterday. Is it a type of Sedum? The label says Sempervivum (Arachnoideum), it has an RHS Garden of Merit award They are so pretty. Your pot looks lovely Lily....for an Alpine garden'

I can't believe how much they have all filled out so quickly, I might post some more pics on that thread image