Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

pot bound lupin

iceice Posts: 332

Bad case of sticky labels today i bought a lupin from the market, getting it home I noticed its really pot bound. What do I do? Was going to give to parentals in 3 werks time. Do i pot on? Spilt it?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd pot it on, making sure to interfere with the roots so they start to move out from that tight ball

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • iceice Posts: 332

Stupid question, how do i get it out of current pot? Poor thing is very crammed

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I assume it's plastic. Sqeeze it about a bit and pull, that will start the teasing out of the roots. GC bought plants are often like that, especially if they're on the reduced stand which is always my starting placeimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

I find it easiest to cut the plastic pot open, then repot as mentioned above.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Make sure you soak it well first.  Plunge it in a bucket of water till no more air bubbles form.  Then you can remove the old pot more easily and do less damage to the roots.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

I think Obelixx's comments are key. It is difficult to wet the roots of a very pot bound plant and it will struggle without moist roots.

Also  agree with Verdun, de-stress the plant, by removing the flower.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border