Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pot plant recommendations please

DicemancDicemanc Posts: 40

Hello all,

I am struggling to find suitable plants for three pots I have attached to a fence alongside my house.

The pots are about 17cm, so the plants will need to be small, and the area they are in is surrounded by walls/fences on three sides, and so is sheltered but gets no sun at all.

The main problem is that they are located away from all my other plants - and so they usually get forgotten about when I am watering during warm spells (I have just lost my latest lot of impatiens) - therefore something drought resistant would be best. I have tried to remember to water them - but after three years of forgetting I have to be realistic !

Also - I'm now thinking perhaps an evergreen, preferably with a bit of colour for some of the year.

I'm not asking for too much am I?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Col.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

17cm is tiny and would need daily watering in summer.

I think you need a re-think of the area.  What is it for?  Do you use it or look at it each day?  If not, why bother struggling with plants?  

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

What about some of the sedums or ice plants?

• DicemancDicemanc Posts: 40

The pots are attached to a fence at the bottom of the drive, and so it is an area that everyone can see when they approach the house. They were intended to brighten up a dull part of the house - although I didn't really think through the type of plants that would survive there!

Cathy - many thanks for the suggestions. I was't aware that there were any evergreen Sedums, and had never heard of Ice plants - so thanks for pointing me in that direction...

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Could you attach bigger pots, or window boxes to give more compost to plants?  Maybe with a drip tray attached?

Howe leeks might cope and would spread over the edges.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

I have Delosperma Sutherlandii It is spectacular in summer and evergreen in winter and only gets watered once in a while image

• DicemancDicemanc Posts: 40

Thanks - I thought about a window box but was worried about the weight on a wooden fence. I'm going to try one of the sedums - but if they don't work out for any reason then I'll have to seek out some larger pots.