Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Potential poisonous plant

PatgPatg Posts: 2

My daughter has moved house and this climber is in her garden. My granddaughter has special needs and eats plants if we are not careful. Need to know if this is poisonous yellow jasmine as it looks like it to me. Any advice much appreciated.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I think it's jasmine don't know if it's poisonous a lot of plants are, unless somebody else comes along there's web sites that you can go onto just put in what your serching for.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698

It looks like Trachelospermum asiaticum (note small yellow 'windmill' flowers) - gorgeous and low toxicity.

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

If you google...'.RHS Potentially harmful garden plants ' you will get a list. I can't do links on this device.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698

I think the OP thought it might be yellow jasmine - Gelsemium. A plant I hadn't heard of and which is apparently very poisonous (and toxic to bees). But it's not that, it's Trachelospermum, which is not risky.

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Yes, I don't see that Trachelospermum will be a huge problem - if it had been Gelsemium I'd have suggested she got rid of it.

Normally I would be pretty sanguine about children and the majority of garden plants which may or may not have a degree of toxicity; however, having worked with youngsters with autism and/or severe learning difficulties and behavioural problems I understand just how careful you have to be with those who have a compulsion to eat unusual things.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• PatgPatg Posts: 2

Thank you so much for all your replies they've all been extremely helpful. Now I've seen pics I think you are right about Trachelospermum. The garden is very neglected and we are about to try to make most of it edible (herbs, veg etc)  for safety but would like to keep some of the nice things we've discovered.