London (change)
Today 20°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
4 messages
16/01/2013 at 15:35

Hello all,

I want to grow some Lillies in a pot, but as beautiful as they are, I'm always left a bit flat once flowered, as they kick a lot of wow for only a short space of time. I don't really want to have a flower pot taken up for just a month or so's flowering.

Has anyone planted other plants in with their Lillies? And, if so, what ones? I want to maximise the floral time and could do without my pots looking empty for 10 months of the year. Is there anything I can put in that will flower for longer, giving a longer season of interest, that the Lillies will then grow through?

16/01/2013 at 16:12

You might be able to grow spring bulbs, or other small Spring-flowering plants. I haven't actually tried that myself.

I have tried growing climbers up the stems of tall lilies. I thought it would be interesting to grow a blue-flowering climber (Ipomoea) up a tall orange lily.

I found 3 problems: Lilies have a short flowering period, so it's difficult to synchronise flowering times. Also lilies also like a rich compost, and the climber I used produced a lot of foliage, and not many flowers. The most severe problem was that the leaves of the climber tended to suffocate the lily. So I got rid of the climber, before the lily came to flower. This was my attempt...

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/17673.jpg?width=350

The best way to find out what works is to try something and see what happens.

16/01/2013 at 17:38

I also have 2 big pots with giant lilies and would love to know what else I could plant there; trailing lobelia perhaps, Verbena Bonariensis keeps self seeding there, but too late in the season to do much.

17/01/2013 at 12:52
I have the same problem, I am going to try some different things in them and see what happens .
email image
4 messages