Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

Hi Everyone

I recently purchase a loveley magnolia.

I would like to have this isn a pot (see picture).  Now my question is what is the best way to pot a magnolia.

Thanks

sotongeoff

Not sure what you mean as the best way-it is just like potting anything on-they do prefer ericaceous compost-just get a nice attractive pot bigger than you have now-watch out it could be top heavy in the wind-compost in the bottom -pushed round the side-water with rain water rather than tap.

Matty2

I have replied to this onceut it wouldn't let me post

I have grown a magnolia stellata in a large pot biut would hesitate about puttin a soulangea in one as it is a large tree,

If you have to do so I would get something like a half barrel and plant in there, It would need amix of ericaeous compost with some JI2 0r 3 Baout 2/3 ericaeous to 1/3 JI

However I do not think it would be happy long  term

ok, thnaks. 

Would it be best to just keep it in the pot its in now?

sotongeoff

Frozz-take it out of the pot-if it is full of roots it needs moving on- garden or container-but as I said leave it in that and in the first bit of wind then woosh- and tears before bedtime

Advertisement

Matty2

Looking at your garden - why not plant it in that corner

You have researched its size haven't you? I have just bought one and it is going at the back of a very large garden and will have about 8ft clear on every side so that it can show off properly.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=5909

They tend to have an outward growth.

Thanks for all the help

ideally I want to keep it size it is, Maybee foot higher
Woodgreen wonderboy

I have not been very successful at growing magnlias in pots. A more recent planting in the garden is now heavy with buds for the fist time.

Matty2

You could be going against its nature and lose it

Alan4711

Frozz if you take Rosa,s advice and use a half barrell can we all come round and help you empty it first,, i here Doombar bitter  beer barrells are best, and  perhaps a full one would be better just in case,just think all that beer and a loverly barrell to end up with,Now has anyone got a bitter idea than that

Good luckFrozz miduck

Alan