London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
1 to 20 of 56 messages
10/04/2012 at 22:18
I recently bought a 99p bare root climbing rose from our local pound shop. I mainly bought it because it was a sorry specimen in need of light. I have planted it in a south facing bed and am keen to see if it survives. Has anyone else bought a similar plant? How did it do?
10/04/2012 at 23:16

Hi Margot, I bought 2 raspberry canes at a pound shop. They looked like dead twigs... and they were dead twigs! 

http://www.mandysutter.com/blog/

11/04/2012 at 00:30

regularly!!!but ideally you will pot them on for less hardy types and keep well watered and sheltered...dont forget to harden off!!!!and look for ones in good enough health..i have philadelphus, roses, hibiscus, buddleia forsythia and ribes do pparticularly well!!!

11/04/2012 at 02:51

My Pound shop first earlys are doing well lol

11/04/2012 at 09:13
Ah hardening off...missed that! But it's a warm bed next to a fence in London so maybe...... - if not as per the reluctant gardener's experience, a dead looking twig will be just that!
11/04/2012 at 09:30

I bought a "Bridal Wreath" spirea from our Pound Shop some yrears ago which is now giving a glorious display.  There bulbs, especially "Tete a Tete" daffodils have never disappointed.  Be selective in what you buy and treat them well, especially if they have been in the shop a long time, and do check they are still alive!  You can save a lot for run of the mill plants and bulbs.

11/04/2012 at 11:28

I went to an event at a very posh nursery and found some houseleeks for 50p. I was very pleased with myself as I'd wanted some for a while and they require so little care. They looked a bit ragged but I was sure they'd be fine after re-potting. Not so - at home the compost revealed vine weevil. My bargain was not a bargain at all and the posh nursery should be ashamed of itself!

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

11/04/2012 at 14:27

all too true emma....oh and i also leave them in water for a really good drink before i plant them..its pot luck but 90% of these cheap plants do well if you are selective and i dont have a lot of cash to spare so it really helps....and over here aldi and lidl do great offers on bare root trees and all have done well..the dearer trees from nurserys didnt do as well as the cheaper buys

11/04/2012 at 14:41

Morrisons up here are selling fruit trees (Bramley apple, Victoria plum, Concord pear etc) for a fiver, which seems amazing. I've bought all mine now but would give the Morrisons trees a go if not. The varieties are the basic, most popular ones.  

11/04/2012 at 14:49
happymarion wrote (see)

I bought a "Bridal Wreath" spirea from our Pound Shop some yrears ago which is now giving a glorious display. 

I bought one too, and it did really well for several years.  Just recently it has been growing healthily, but no flowers.  Any ideas?

11/04/2012 at 14:55

maybe you need to up the feed/mulch and i would prune out old growth at the right time to encourage new shoots that will hopefully flower well for you

11/04/2012 at 15:45

Roie plum is right, Eve.  You can prune most shrubs back hard, wait a tear and then it will be refreshed and give you glorious blossom.

11/04/2012 at 16:54

Thanks for those tips, ladies.  I will stick with it.

11/04/2012 at 19:02

hi yes i have had great sucsess with £1 shop plants , a lot more tlc is needed good food and soil ,and see how much reward you get from this  sue

11/04/2012 at 19:46
Sounds like mixed success - I will keep you posted on my little rose... Keep your fingers crossed!
11/04/2012 at 20:20
I HAVE LOTS OF CLIMING ROSES ON MY BACK WALL THAT I GOT FROM THE POUND SHOP.AND AFTER 3YRS AND A LOT OF FEEDING THAY THE STARTED TO GROW. BUT WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FOR A ??1
11/04/2012 at 21:32

Not the poundshop, but CostCo, the US cash and carry store have the most amazing offers on fruit trees and bushes, bulbs and perennials.  All really good quality plants for excellent prices.  OK, nothing glamorous but for basic garden stocking on a budget - fantastic!!  Poundshop bulbs are OK if you buy early enough, everything else seems to be rather too much hard work and spending more in food and bug killer than the original costprice!

11/04/2012 at 22:54

How much does anyone reckon to pay for raspberry canes? I've seen them for £1.30 each which seemed not bad, at a garden centre in Harrogate. Nice that it was possible to buy lots of different varieties rather than ten the same. 

http://www.mandysutter.com/blog/

11/04/2012 at 23:05

i took a bit of raspberry from a garden 2 yrs ago which rooted readily..and now its growing like a weed...its popping up everywhere!!!does anyone else have this problem??

11/04/2012 at 23:13

For those of us that like a bargain, let me tell you about mine last year.  I went to B&Q at the beginning of May and bought seed potatoes that were on offer for 10p per net bag.  The potatoes were past their best and sprouting through the net, but worth a chance for the pennies they cost. I bought 6 bags, and would have got more, but I knew that I would struggle for space in the garden to plant them. I was really imressed with the harvest - quality and quantity - and will definitely try to get a similar deal again this year.

1 to 20 of 56 messages