Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

pretty plant needed for bathroom

hi image

i usually have an orchid on the bathroom windowsill, when it finishes flowering it gets put i the spare room, out of the way, cos its ugly! it gets brought back when it throws up another spike...honest!

so, you clever people, could you give me some suggestions for a new plant for the bathroom windowsill, preferbly something that flowers, and dosent mind a draught as i keep the window open a little all the timeimage

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Bekkie, Why? how long do you spend in the bathroom? my house plants are where I can see them most of the time, they are meant to be seen plus draughts are plant killers. Then each to their own, Primulas, a pot of Bulbs Hyacinth etc. many supermarkets have small pots of bulbs if you want ready made and the bulbs can go in the garden after flowering, light is the main need for indoor plants and most never get enough so a bathroom window should be OK.

Frank.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I have three little pots of begonia semperflorens - they've been on the table on the terrace all summer - rather than throw them out when the frosts arrive they're going to be repotted any time now and they'll spend the winter on the bathroom windowsill.  If past experience is anything to go by they'll flower all winter and spring - then they'll be repotted again ready to spend the summer on the terrace again.

And Frank, we girls have to spend ages in the bathroom - none of us have your natural good looks image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Doveimage. I agree about begonia, I have a simple little white one in the kitchen which flowers non-stop. Every few months it gets a hair cut to stop it getting straggly.

• that did make me chuckle Frankimage,  i have to confess, im not the biggest fan of houseplantsimage, but something pretty in the bathroom, just makes the whole room look better, its pobably a female thing!

thanks for the suggestions guys image

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

I'm with Frank Bekkie, nice pot of bulbs and a little stack of pretty soaps just for show not to use! You know what I'm like image

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Cyclamens come in some lovely shades and would look nice.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Bekky something pretty in the bathroom would do nicely for me too, "err" we may not be on the same thread of thought though. I do like small pots of bulbs in the kitchen plenty of light warm and I can see them.

Frank.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Bekkie, Apparently the plants used in bathrooms are ,(I cant spell Chlorophytum Comos ) so its a Spider plant,loves the steamy atmosphere now and again, trouble is in the bathroom they grow very fast ,I know i put small ones in to give em a good start and it works ,they grow very healthy,Our  Peace Lillies love the Bathroom as well and will grow with little light as some bathrooms are a little dim ,they do very well in there and love the steam ,Philodendron ,iv not tried but they are recommended Boston Fern,Cast Iron plant and Bamboo ,Parlor Palm to name a few,I also put plants into our bathroom that like to be sprayed /Misted, Even Fig cuttings do very well in there ,the Spider,Peace lilly, Palm and fern iv tried and they love it,  No our bath room is not Full of plants we have 2 at a time,Kate likes the atmosphere they create and so does  I ..imagenow Wheres my shower Cap

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I have cacti in the bathroom. Had them for years. I initially put them on the windowsill when my girls were young because one of them liked to stand on the loo seat,open the window and drop things out of it. She stopped doing it quite quickly after that...image

They've travelled with me unscathed through every house move in the last five years! 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • hmmm, ive got a few scabby aloes down the garden, i suppose they would look quite nice in a decent pot and some gravel, i do like the idea of something scented too, spose i could do a few things and change them as my mood dictates!image