London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 16°C
6 messages
19/05/2013 at 16:48

Hello one & all

My question is :-  Can I grow primula denticulata (drumstick primula) from seed?  And if so, how & when?  I've recently joined this site and really enjoy reading the exchanges of info on various aspects of gardening. Thanks for any helpful advice on this matter.

19/05/2013 at 16:54

Hi Nikki

All species of plants can be grown from seed. Primulas usually like an over winter chill but I've never grown this one.

19/05/2013 at 17:19

They germinate erratically, and the seedlings are tiny to start with. They need to be sown on the surface of fine compost because the seeds are so small, and the surface needs to be kept lightly moist, This can lead to green algal growth, so it is best to use fine vermiculite, which is inert, rather than ordinary compost. This reduces algal growth. 

Ideally they should be winter chilled, so I have sown them in pots in winter and covered them with a tile to stop predating mice etc., and then lifted the tile off in February and brought them into a cold greenhouse to germinate, spraying occasionally with water from a hand sprayer.

I have also left  them outside over winter with a covering polythen bag held upright with wire hoops. 

Leave them to get to manageable size before pricking them out. . 

20/05/2013 at 08:16

Many thanks Gold1locks & nutcutlet for your replies 

I'll have a go using the techniques suggested this winter - and look forward to the spring for the results.  Love drumstick primulas!

20/05/2013 at 11:57

You can cheat by sowing the fresh seed on small trays or pots of compost and then putting them in your fridge for a few weeks so they think they've had winter and can grow.

30/05/2013 at 13:05

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00j9wx2 

Monty does green primula seeds

email image
6 messages