London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
6 messages
19/04/2012 at 12:02

I would like some advice on storing Narcissus bulbs. A customer of mine fills her tubs with daffodils, when they have finished flowering and died back I dig up and store them in her shed for the following Autumn. I shake of the soil and put them in plastic tray s with holes in for aeration. A Lot of them seem to root or do not perform as well the next year and I do feel them during and after flowering. Would it be an idea to store them like dahlia tubers in dry compost? any help would be much appreciated 

19/04/2012 at 22:15

I think you could store them happily in slightly moist compost. Unlike tulips, daffodils don't really enjoy being dried off every year. Would it not be possible to leave them in tubs and put the tubs somewhere out of view for the rest of the year?

19/04/2012 at 23:16

I'd have thought it would be better to plant them out in the borders when they're lifted from the pots and just buy new stock for the pots each autumn to get the best spring display in both pots and garden.

19/04/2012 at 23:26
I have a large amount of Daffodils and Tulips, at planting time, those that don't get put into the garden, get put into large plastic pots, I can then put them into displays where shrubs etc grow, when display finished take them out after of course, dead heading and feeding,and put them to one side,so they can still be fed when leaves turn brown clean things up and put them away eg shed,garage til next time,
20/04/2012 at 08:04
I keep quite a few daffs in plastic pots, slot them into nicer containers during the flowering season ( or, as Holedigger says, into border gaps). When they've gone over, out come the plastic pots and the more decorative containers can be used for other stuff. Depends on the space available, I suppose.
20/04/2012 at 18:47

Thanks guys for all your advice, Figrat I think I will do what you have suggested, good idaer. thankyou all agian

email image
6 messages