Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

problematic

I took out a very old climber and replaced it with a beautiful Falstaff rose which has flowered giving me a gentle scent.

Now all the roses have flowered all the leaves are falling off and are rampant with black spot which I have sprayed consistently.

I was wondering whether it is because I planted it is about the same position as the old rose and maybe the ground is contaminated.

Can anyone throw any light on this.

It is a David Austin Rose. 

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

I presume you prepared the soil before planting by changing part of it, or at least using Rootgrow to encourage growth?

If so, it sounds like you have a very bad case of blackspot.

You need to spray regularly to keep this under control, not just when you see it.

Next year, you want to start spraying just as the leaves open, and then as often as your chosen product recommends.

For the moment, pick up any fallen leaves and make sure the plant is well-watered.

Have a read of this, too:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=270

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Jonathan, do the following, pick off all the affected leaves and any left on the ground and any detritus around the rose. If this means stripping the rose of foliage do it. Spray the whole rose, including flowers with fungicide and the ground around the rose. Feed the rose and mulch heavily with compost or well rotted farmyard manure, then water well.

Even if the rose looks bare which it will don't worry as new growth will appear within a few weeks. It works and I have given this advice frequently on this forum more times than I care to mention. It does work so don't worry about it looking bare.

If infection is present on any new growth do it again.

It's been a bad year for black spot as we had little or no frost last winter to kill the spores.

I don't know if you refreshed the soil when you planted the new rose, but the addition of mychorizal fungi to the planting hole would have helped. Some recommend planting inside a cardboard box with fresh soil inside, but I find the fungi do the job equally as well along with plenty of organic matter added. If you didn't I'd replant it in November using the above to give it the best chance for next year.

Next year spray with fungicide as soon as the first new growth appears to keep on top of any possible infection.

• Thank You Alina W and Dave Morgan for your very Quick response. I was dreading that I would have to find another spot for it.

It is very refreshing to hear the views of the initiated,