London (change)
Mon 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
15 messages
19/09/2013 at 18:33

Hello, I planted Asters (Lazy Daisy variety) and Crysanthamums, hoping they might keep going until mid October to use at our wedding. They still look great and I have some new buds still coming as I sowed some at different times. My question is, is there anything I can do to help maximise flowers for 3 weeks' time? I am deadheading them regularly as the petals start to droop. But wondered if it was worth risking anything more drastic - eg cutting back flowers which still look good at the moment to make more buds form. Obviously I know if we get a hard frost they could be done for!

I also have a rose bush - no idea of the variety sorry - and that is still flowering and some new buds still coming. I have been deadheading very regularly but again wonder if I cut off all the flowers now might that help more buds form?

I've also got Orlaya, Verbena Bonariensis, Nasturtiums and California Poppies which seem to all be lasting very well at the moment.

Grateful for any tips. I normally grow veg on my allotment but turned some of it over to flowers this year, so new to this!

thank you!

Kath

19/09/2013 at 18:44

With the roses, just keep deadheading. I usually have roses blooming into November However, this year, my roses haven't had a very good 'second' flush. I've dead-headed them, fed them, but, one bed in particular (Pearl) just isn't flowering at all at the moment. I wonder whether the hot weather and lack of water affected them ?? My climbers are the similar - they flowered well at first, but just haven't got a lot of flowers now.

19/09/2013 at 19:05

Yes, keep deadheading, and take the flowers off before they really go over - I would NOT hack the whole plant back, but don't let it waste too much energy thinking about seeds - 'dead'head before the insects pollinate.... 

19/09/2013 at 19:06

And keep them watered and fed! (I'd think tomato food might be best?  but I'm not an expert)

19/09/2013 at 19:09

Keep dead heading and dont allow any flowers going over to remain 

19/09/2013 at 19:13

andyou need some later flowering asters and chrysanths. Have a look and see what's flowering in other gardens and nurseries but beware of the very late chrysanths. I had some that were so late they just looked miserable in November. I'm miserable enough in November without that.

19/09/2013 at 21:19

Is it possible that the excellent first flush of roses this year, which in my garden were the best for years if not ever, took too much out of them to expect a great second flowering/repeat... especially as I didn't feed them again in the very hot spell. Come to think of it, was the hot spell and lack of water to blame? I think so.

Nut, I have some "late spray" chrysanths, and if they don't do anything this year they are for the compost heap. Plenty of leaf, but no flower power.

19/09/2013 at 22:20

WW a lot of mine made their own decision during the long cold wet months of last winter

19/09/2013 at 22:42

They are on their last warning! I had hoped they would give me an extended seaon of flower, and they were really good plugs from Chrys. Direct. However they have never flowered, and they are very leggy, even if you give them a hard cut back as instructed. All in all more bother than.......

19/09/2013 at 22:45

Well, I've found second and third flowering of plants this year.  The summer has given them the energy to do this. Early dead heading is essential to this process too and the best way to ensure long flowering.  Nothing else we can do will better that

19/09/2013 at 22:56

In my experience very hot and dry weather seems to be a real check on plant growth, and as soon as things cool and rain arrives off they go again. However I must admit that I have been a bit lax on the deadheading front

19/09/2013 at 23:49

Agree deadheading is bit.....no, very.....boring so not something i regularly do as i should.  I do though practise early removal of spent flowers which is very easy and effective

20/09/2013 at 08:55

I've been very good at deadheading this year - the pearl roses, in particular, are only 2 years old (3rd season) and were a present from our children on our 30th wedding anniversary, so I've been trying to look after them properly The climbers were new last year. They currently have a few flowers, but I'd hoped for more  Other plants, as said by someone else, have flowered several times without a problem.

20/09/2013 at 10:07

thanks all for your advice - reassuring to know the dead heading is helping. Hoping they can hold on for a another 3 weeks!

20/09/2013 at 15:24

It probably depends on the temperature from now on. Daylight length is shortening which doesn't help but the forecast warmer weather may keep us all going  Fingers crossed, except when holding your secateurs... could be tricky.

email image
15 messages