Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Propagating Japanese Cherry trees

I have a few weeping cherry trees (Prunus kiku-Shidra-Zakura) that to maintain their form I need to prune. Ideally I would like to propagate them using these cuttings.

From what I have read they can only be rooted via air layering or softwood cuttings. It is too late for the latter (though I could wait till spring). Has anyone airlayered successfully or rooted cherry from hardwood cuttings?

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

I'd recommend budding. It isn't nearly as difficult as people make out. Of course you'll need to get some rootstocks but if your garden is anything like mine cherry seedlings are very easy to come by. The best rootstocks will need to be bought but they aren't expensive. 

• That is good advice and I have some Wild Cherry trees that I can shield bud the Japanese buds onto...I will give it a try.

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Good luck Blairs. Put a couple of buds on each just incase one doesn't take, if both take you cut off the top one, though I'm sure they'll all take.