London (change)
Today 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
14 messages
10/10/2013 at 12:16

I know that these can be split once a good clump has formed but have not tried seeds, and wondered how easy this is?

And can root cuttings be taken to bring on new plants too?

I have a good selection of crescendo variety and want to build up a good supply for next year but will probably need to let them grow over winter and then try next summer I suspect?

10/10/2013 at 13:09

You can divide small,clumps too, of course, AJK.  Very small pieces can be replanted or,potted up.  Yes, seeds too.  I would sow in early spring

10/10/2013 at 14:17

i would sow  outside and expect them to germinate in spring.

I assume crescendo is a cultivar, you may not get exactly the same. If you want exactly the same do as Verdun suggests. If there's a bit of root and something green at the top you've got a plant.

10/10/2013 at 14:44

PS

Actually I would have sowed them fresh but now will do fine

10/10/2013 at 15:31

Great, will give it a go at potting on small bits of them. Have done this very successfully with some primulas which grow extremely well into clumps.

10/10/2013 at 17:03

I'd have sown them fresh as well and covered them in grit and left them outside all winter.  You'd have loads of little plants come Spring 

10/10/2013 at 17:22

But if you wanted to sell them as 'Crescendo' you'd have to divide them. Seeds will be any old primula. I think AJK wants plants to sell

10/10/2013 at 19:13

Ah didn't realise they were for selling Verdun.... 

11/10/2013 at 08:31

Only some Verdun, I do like to keep a good stock to keep my garden looking good throughout the year.

This is the first year that I have done really well at car boots and fares and even branched out into the world of ebay for the first time as a seller but maybe much of the success was down to the good weather!

If only I could sustain it through the year and then go part time in work. How much better would life be doing what you enjoy doing!

Will definately take a good look at the polyanthus over the weekend, but many of them are flowering away at the moment!

11/10/2013 at 09:02

Polyanthus Crescendo  has a Registered mark after it's name http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-plants/perennial-and-biennial-plants/polyanthus-eliator-crescendo-mixed-f1-hybrid/p6186TM - does this indicate that it's illegal to propate them for sale?  

Don't want you getting into trouble and having to pay a huge fine!  

Does anyone have any professional knowledge or authoritative information on this? 

11/10/2013 at 12:39

I won't say anything if you won't! Last time I had the plant police out it was only tomatoes in the greenhouse thankfully........

11/10/2013 at 12:46

Well, I wouldn't advertise them on eBay as Crescendo then - the big companies won't be at all happy 

11/10/2013 at 12:59

Oh no, these won't be on e-bay - just local sales pre planted in troughs etc. I restrict the online stuff to items that can be posted without too much cost for p&p - small bulbs and lily tubers for instance.

11/10/2013 at 19:46

Well, I hope you make a packet AJK.    I have a feeling you will do very well

Thought about penstemons?    Cuttings root easily from all over the plant and everybody loves penstemons.  I used to sell plants and penstemons were very popular and profitable  Along with osteospermums

email image
14 messages