London (change)
Today 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
1 to 20 of 29 messages
07/05/2013 at 18:39

let's all boast about successful propagation,as we all feel proud when we do it so let us share and compare.

i will start by saying i have taken sedum cuttings for the second year from emerging  shoots.last year i took stem tip cuttings from bowles mauve wall flower and hardy osteospurmum,this year they look huge.

this year i have again,unsuccessfully,taken dahlia cuttings and they have wilted.

i am obsessed.every new plant i buy i always try and take cuttings.

what have you been successful/unsuccessful with 

07/05/2013 at 18:57

Hi cotty, managed to propagate clementis last year and have now  planted the first one out in the garden. Taken some Lupin cuttings also a few weeks ago and so far they look ok. Just by chance stuck some catmint/nepata stem in some water and it's rooting.

Want to do more cuttings this year, bowles mauve is one of them

07/05/2013 at 19:22

it is easy and mine have ten plus flower stems already.take some around about now by taking a three to four inch cutting off a new shoot,take the flower head off and remove the lower leaves,dip in rooting powder and put in a pot.make sure the cutting was taken just below a leaf joint as it will root better.i experimented with mine putting a bag over some pots to keep the moisture in.

07/05/2013 at 20:03

Always thought that you had to choose a non flowering stem, which can be a bit hard to find on these plants. The two I have are flowering again, bit woody so will be worth a go. Thanks for tip re the leaf joint

08/05/2013 at 00:37

I took some hard wood cuttings from around the garden for the first time last year and much to my amazement all bar two are still alive. Gooseberryy doesn't look to have taken but the currant cuttings are in bud. Even took some cuttings off the hedge, gave them a gentle tug the other day and they weren't for coming out so must have a root system forming, was thinking of trying topiary.

08/05/2013 at 04:54

Hi, bought a centaurea in the past its best corner of the gc last year,2 quid from 9, took it home, removed all the dead bits, then ripped the root ball apart, i now have 8 good sized plants in bud and 4 smaller ones coming on nicely, first time I've done this, well pleased

08/05/2013 at 10:14

Reminds me of a few years ago, when I went down to the riverside to cut some nice 3-foot long twigs from the willow trees, which I wanted as pea supports at the allotment.

They worked brilliantly, had a bumper crop of peas, but the problem was every twig had rooted and I was left with 150 willow trees! 

I returned to the river and planted half a dozen in appropriate places, but had to burn the rest - seemed such a shame!

08/05/2013 at 16:16

you could have sold some or swapped them to get some more plants.l love a bargain like pash and will try to salvage plants or propagate them straight away.

has anybody else had lucky/unlucky cuttings.150 willow trees would be a blessing and a headache.

08/05/2013 at 17:13

Got one heather cutting to take out of 24 . I don't think heather has heard of non-flowering shoots! Have so far failed to get any camellia cuttings to root but will try again this year. Forsythia is dead easy though  and grapes too.

08/05/2013 at 17:30

have after three attemps got some dahlia , delphinums and pholx cuttings, put into a good gritty mix sprayed and popped a half bottle over them, spray every few days and it looks although they have taken. whenever i buy new plants i always spilt them into two plants, just greedy like that

08/05/2013 at 18:06

I have taken Salvia Hot Lips cuttings last year and have got three lovely plants to go out in the next few weeks. This week I have taken cuttings of Alstromeria. I bought these lovely plants in Holland last week so hopefully they will grow big and strong. They are all standing up nice and straight and tall at the moment, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

08/05/2013 at 20:06

I'm very happy to see green leaves on the gooseberry cutting I just rammed in the border in the Autumn. I have struck cuttings of heuchera and penstemons too, in pots, and Euphorbia Mellifera. Hebe and another (silver) Euphorbia cuttings have failed though.

08/05/2013 at 21:21

you have got to have plenty of patience and not knock the cuttings out beforebefore they have rooted.two penstemon cuttings died on me today with roots on,were they not watered enough?i don't want to overwater them

08/05/2013 at 21:25

I took Monty's advice on GW and when I pruned the dogwood, I just stuck the cuttings in the ground - they're all leafing now.  It's the first propagation I've ever been successful with!

08/05/2013 at 22:19

Like you cotty, I'm addicted to taking cuttings.  Nature is just fantastic, throwing out new roots and shoots, with relentless determination to survive, resulting in plants for (more or less) for free.  I have cuttings of nemesia, lupins, dahlia, fuschia, euonymous, hebe and cineraria at the moment.  I get a fairly high rate of success with my cuttings but not nearly as successful with seeds, but I'll keep trying. 

09/05/2013 at 14:12

I got a bi-colour buddleja from one of the online suppliers, as normal this was a small plant (pretty much a cutting). I planted it out, 2 days later the dog snapped the twig above ground off. I was not best pleased but though what the hell and planted the snapped twig incase it was salvageable. I now have 2 plants - thanks dogs

09/05/2013 at 18:18

A happy accident, Andy.  

09/05/2013 at 18:20

at the moment i am taking cuttings without rooting powder because they seem to be successful on tv and in the magazines.i am not having much success.i should be putting plastic bags over the cuttings to keep the humidity in but i am trying to wing it,unsuccessfully,by keeping it simple.my sedums took really easily and i think I'm having the same hope for every other plant.

i have been unsuccessful with rudbeckia and scabious seeds so far this year.they have been placed in a heated propagator and they still haven't germinated.

09/05/2013 at 20:44

Cotty, I wonder if it might be better to treat the scabious with a little less care; they're a wildflower after all & I've simply sown them into small pots with my own garden compost at several stages since Feb, warming them on a south facing windowsill. Got loads of them already & more on the way, hope they attract the butterflies.

Not so successful are lobelia; I sowed to instruction, initially with a plastic cover to keep humid. Only a few have made it to inch high plants, but I think I've got the right experience for 2014!

Got a ceanothus cutting from 2012, now a bushy, deep green plant, hooray! Happiest moment though, is the new jasmine I grew from berries on the mature plant I've had for 5years, & will be trained to grow against my kitchen wall so I get that lovely scent whenever it flowers.

09/05/2013 at 21:29

Cotty,I sowed my scabious seeds outdoors in a cold frame this year, not had a great germination rate, but here everything seems about a month behind where they were last year. I'm growing the annual types.

Quite a few of last year scabious, by some miracle made it through the winter, grew into tall plants with a lot of flowers and I did see butterflies on them

Good going on the ceanothus, Arid Al, the new jasmine plant sounds beautiful. How long did the berry take to germinate? I went to a garden last weekend and they had a beautiful jasmine, I smelt it long before I found it

1 to 20 of 29 messages