Start a new thread

Hi folks, I have used an unheated propagator in the past and managed to raise a few plants here and there. I have just bought a heat mat and today I planted 5 desert rose seeds into some of those little jiffy pod thingymabobs, placed them in a plastic box with lid and put it on the heat mat

Now for the main question: If one germinates before the others, do i remove the lid and just hope the others catch up or do i remove the germinated one from the box and leave the other ones till they have also germinated. I really hope someone understands what im going on about because im starting to confuse myself.. Any advice appreciated

Alina W

Take seedlings out of the box as they germinate, or they'll grow too tall in the heat.

sotongeoff

You only really need the heat to germinate seeds or to give cuttings a start-so once the seed has germinated remove to a cooler spot to grow on-leaving the others in the propagator

Is that what you wanted to know?-leaving them in the propagator will make them grow leggy

kate1123

Can I butt in here, I have some seedlings in my propagotor that germinated quickly but have never grown or produced true leaves, should I take them out?

Advertisement

Alina W

I would. Put them in the brightest place that you have now. Which seeds are they?

Geoff - snap!

kate1123

Thanks Alina I will move them. Chilean glory vine.

Alina W

They actually prefer it slightly cooler, I find, Kate - they may be too warm in your propagator.

kate1123

Thanks for the tip, my first lot just shrivelled up after 6 weeks.

Thanks for your advice Geoff and Alina, that clarifies things for me now. Much appreciated

Kate I hope our glory vine comes up okay