Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Propogating monardia

I have grown monardia for the first time this year and noticed quite a few small new shoots at base. I'm wondering wether to divide some of these and plant elsewhere now or if this is wrong time?

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,270

Personally, I'd let them enjoy themselves over the winter as whole plants. Less chance of frost damage and fungal infection in wounds. If they pull through the winter and still look full of vigour, I'd take the divisions off in the spring. Spring is the time for things to grow, so it would be the best time to get the plantlets off to a good start.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd agree, particularly for late flowering plants like Monarda

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Okay I'll leave them in peace then. Thank you both. I'm just chomping at the bit to fill all my borders!

• Hello all, I'm trying to find seed for either Monarda Blaustrumpf or Monarda Scorpion, does anyone have any idea how I can get a hold of them? I see that propagation is by division or root cuttings so does that mean that by seed is impossible?

Also, I live in the north of Italy with dry sandy soil and hot weather, so I presume it would be best to keep them in part shade or a moist shady area?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It's impossible to get exactly those cultivars from seed lulustar.

seeds saved from them might produce something  vey similar, but might not.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Right I understand, thank you!