3 messages
15/11/2012 at 16:41

Hello,

I have been provided with some small Echinacea and Agapanthus seedlings from a local garden nursery. They are small and I guess they were the wrong size at this time of year for the nursery to keep.

As far as I can see the Echinacea has some roots about three inches long, but not much in the way of leaves (about three inches high), or no leaves as such.

The Agapanthus looks like they have recently germinated and are about i inch high although not much in the way of roots.

I live in East Anglia and have presumed they will not stand a chance outside over winter and have placed them on a windowsill.

Is my presumption correct and what is the best way to try and keep these alive until next year when I hopefully will have plants i can plant out. I am reluctant to give up on them

Many thanks...Adam

15/11/2012 at 16:45

You are doing the right thing-you would probably lose them in the open-although that might be too warm for them -they could grow soft and leggy-a greenhouse would be better or a windowsill in a cool room -is that an option?

15/11/2012 at 18:42

I agree, too small to plant out yet - if you can prick them out into individual pots, keep them in a reasonably (but not too) light frost-free place until spring, then grow them on until planting out you should be right! I envy you that amount of agapanthus plants...

email image
3 messages