London (change)
Today 18°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
17 messages
02/05/2012 at 21:23

Can you prune them quite hard? I have one that was in my garden when I moved in (There were three to start with but I gave two away) and it is starting to spill over border too much. If I would chop off the branch that is in the way, am I likey to harm the plant or will it resprout from the cut off point. My memory tells me they don't like being transplanted and dont take well to pruning. The flowers are red orange if that is of any help.

02/05/2012 at 22:26

You can prune broom straight after flowering, but only cut back the flowered stems by half. You're right, they don't like hard pruning.

02/05/2012 at 22:33

I really need to cut off one of the main stems as it is hanging way outside the border. Would it take that or could that stress it to death?

02/05/2012 at 22:57

Provided that you have at least three or four left, it should be OK.

02/05/2012 at 23:14
Oh good. Is the best time to do this after flowering too? Do I need to dress the wound afterwards with wax or something or just leave it?
03/05/2012 at 12:31

I'd leave it until after flowering, although I'm not sure how much difference it makes. No need to do anything special with the cut, just leave it as it is.

03/05/2012 at 13:00
Thanks. I'll wait until after flowering so I get the full display.
03/05/2012 at 17:15

They don't regrow if you cut back into old wood, so you're limited in what you can do. We used to have a lovely deep pinkish-red flowered broom but it got leggy and lopsided, and eventually died. What I wish I had done (and you might want to do this) is try to take summer cuttings from new shoots, so that if the old plant is not viable you'll have a young replacement.

03/05/2012 at 20:41

That is quite a good idea. Thanks for that.

04/05/2012 at 10:29

Cuttings from Brooms are dead easy. The professional I used to work for, used to roll them up in clear tpae, 20 at a time and put them in his propagating bench and they all rooted within a very short time.

01/07/2012 at 08:32

I pruned my deep red flowering broom too hard after flowering, took six inches of growth off. The shrub was too bushy and lop sided, still lop sided but not flowering, 2nd year? Will it recover and flower or is it finished?

17/08/2013 at 09:58

I repotted my yellow flowering broom 2 months ago as it was too large in the pot it was in, it has not flowered since and is turning very brown and woody looking, do you think it will recover.

04/10/2013 at 13:11

I have two spindley 3 year old yellow brooms that are too tall now for the spot under my window, is it too late to cut them back in early October? Ive never had brooms before.

04/10/2013 at 13:20

Sue - don't get your hopes up. 

Bridie - as you've probably seen in the earlier posts, there's a limit to how much chopping you can do. Depends how big they are and how small you'd like them to be.You might be better taking a few cuttings to replace the ones you have (bit late now possibly but worth trying) or just removing them, starting afresh with a couple of new plants then keeping them managed in the right way, ie pruned back a bit each year after flowering in springtime. 

04/10/2013 at 14:38
How do I store Bramley Apples?
04/10/2013 at 16:52

Hi majfran87 

When asking questions on a new subject it's better to start a new thread with an appropriate title, so that plenty of people with knowledge in that subject spot the query.  

Re storing Bramley apples, hope this link is helpful 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_harvestapples1.shtml

04/10/2013 at 22:57
My question was - How do you store Bramley Apples - I did not want to follow the query about Brooms, Thank you.
email image
17 messages