London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
21 to 27 of 27 messages
24/06/2013 at 20:57

Many thanks side the response KEF? 

would you advise taking a foot or so off the top and cutting the leggy branches that only have leaves at the end to half their size even if their are no buds or shoots?

KEF
24/06/2013 at 21:07

I'd go with that. But will add I'm no expert. If you read back about the advice I was given, I did feed and water mine following pruning as per Verdun's advice.

25/06/2013 at 14:23

I've just cut mine back, all the lovely new shoots got damaged by the awful weather we had so I got fierce with it and hacked off about 2/3 of the growth. This was only about a week ago and already the bush is looking much better. I never feed mine yet it still grows like mad so cutting it twice a year is the only way to stop it taking over that corner of the garden.

I think they are quite hard to kill!

KEF
11/08/2013 at 11:29

Moved this up as it answers a lot of questions on a new post.

13/01/2014 at 14:28

Just looking up this question again because my photinia is still pretty sad looking. I cut about 3 branches back at the time of this discussion (June or so), and they did absolutely nothing! They are only now showing the hint of new shoots at the end. So mine definitely did not respond to pruning with enthusiasm.

On a different issue, however: the leaves are now completely covered with spots. Is this normal for winter, or should I rush to the garden centre for a treatment?

Thanks to all.

25/05/2014 at 20:24

I've got a Photinia which is about 7 feet tall.  It's got a long naked trunk and then a ball of growth at the top.  Just moved into the house so presume it hasn't been pruned in a while.  Would like to make it look more like a bush than a pompom on a long stalk.  How should I prune it?  There are no leaves or hints of new shoots on the long naked trunk.  I've heard that Photinia's should be pruned from the top, but not sure that'll work here.  Advice please!!

11/08/2014 at 12:58

my tree has been cut completely back no leaves were left on  just skeleton will it grw again

email image
21 to 27 of 27 messages