Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pruning agapanthus

Ms MagooMs Magoo Posts: 13

I have three large agapanthus in one pot - they flowered brilliantly this year but have now gone into decline. I would like to prune - when is the best time and do I cut just the heads off or do I remove from the base of the stem? Sorry - this might be a really obvious question but I'm new to gardening!!

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

You can do either but they look smarter if you take out the entire flowering stem and there's less chance of you poking yourself on a sharp, dried stalk later on.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • I have one agapanthas which is flowering now,do I cut it down as soon as it's finished and when do I put it into a bigger pot 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    They like to be congested in the pot. You can cut the whole stem and put it in a vase. They make excellent cut flowers.
  • ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 627

I've removed the flower stems from both my clumps, should I give them a feed now and if so, what is best ?  Thanks.

• VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 651

Or even leave the flowers until they have gone dry and collect the seeds to grow more of this great plant.image