London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
3 messages
10/11/2012 at 07:42
I have a very overgrown honeysuckle which is top heavy and has a spring and summer flowering clematis entwined with it plus a couple of tall roses. Does anyone know when and how I should prune them please? They were like it when we moved in, we tried to prune last year but were scared to prune too much. Thanks
10/11/2012 at 10:08

I would prune in February/March. Honeysuckle is tough and can be pruned quite hard. It's top heavy top can be cut off and it can be thinned out if too thick. The summer clematis can be pruned down to about a foot, it will flower on the new growth. The spring flowering clematis is usually pruned after flowering, it flowers on previous growth, you can prune it hard but you won't have the flowers next year - that may be a sacrifice you will want to make in order to sort it all out. The roses will need pruning early spring but are they tall shrubs or climbers? Buy a book about roses or look up rose pruning on Google to see how to do it.

10/11/2012 at 17:09
That's great, thanks. I think I will prune the clematis hard and sort it all out. The roses aren't climbers and have the most beautiful deep red scented flowers.
email image
3 messages