Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pruning lavender now?

SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

hi,

I have an quite neglected lavender (ice blue I think it might be called) that seems to have decided to start to sprout from the hardwood. As it looks quite bad should I give it a trim now or hold off till the spring?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

It hasn't flowered for year. My plan was to prune it back to the new shoots coming from the old wood to improve the look of it but am unsure of what time of year to do it.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

I would not do this now. Either after flowering, or in Spring.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

I agree with punkdoc - leave it for now and trim it back early spring. Take any straggly bits off now if you want.

Quite right to prune back to where you can see shoots - try and keep as many as you can as lavender won't easily sprout from old wood

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I think I'd take off the flowered shoots.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511

It is fine to cut it back to just above the new shoots now.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I'm with Hollie, pdoc, Pete and Verdun - much too late to prune lavender now.  All you will do is encourage new growth that will get killed off by the first frosts ....which must be just round the corner, despite the record breaking temperatures some have had today.  I try and get mine pruned by the end of August, and if I miss that  I leave it til the spring.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Sometimes lavender does sprout from old wood mine have, I'd leave it to the spring it will have a bit of protection image