Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

pruning roses

rubberrubber Posts: 80

I have hybrid t, floribunda, standard and climbing roses in my garden. I gave them a bit of a prune in the autumn to prevent wind damage over the winter. I was going to give them another prune this weekend but the leaves are now opening. Will I damage them if I do this now?

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

I pruned mine at the weekend. You don't want to prune too early because if there's a frost it will burn new growth so it's not too later at all. 

• rubberrubber Posts: 80

Thanks wiil get pruning at the weekend. Just another question, how should I prune my climbing roses which I am trying to train up a wall?

• I was about to ask for help with pruning my one year old Wollerton Old Hall roses, when I found this thread.  Lots of helpful advice here, but I still have some questions.  What do I do about the stems that have grown out at right angles to the fence?  And how much should I prune from these roses that were planted as bare roots just over a year ago?  Each one produced between 7 and 10 canes.  I took some photos of them today intending to post them here, but am having problems uploading them to iPhoto.  image

•  I live in the north and at the top of a hill so get strong winds so would like some advice on when to prune my roses and how hard, I have different varieties also I have a clematis growing up a fence facing south should this be pruned now?image

• Hello Yorkslass, thank you for reviving this thread as I have been asking myself the same questions - and I live in windy Harrogate!  Hopefully someone will be along soon with some answers!

• Bump

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Before winter and any autumn gales, it is wise to tie in any climbing or rambling rose stems to their supports and cut off any growing away from them or that cannot be safely tied in.

For shrub roses, whatever type or size, cut back long stems by a third to a half to reduce wind resistance which can cause wind rock and loosen the roots and thus damage the plants.

Leave the main pruning to next spring when you start by pruning out any dead or broken stems back to a pair of healthy buds.   The rest of the rpuning depends on the rose type.  This may help - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=186 just scroll down to what you need.

Give roses a generous feed in spring - a mulch of well rotted manure or garden compost mixed with pelleted chicken manure or blood, fish and bone.   Give them a liquid tonic of rose or tomato food every couple of weeks from March to end of June.

Yorkslass - clematis pruning timing and extent depends on which one it is.  Do you have a name?

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Thank you for responding obelixx.  I will have a look at the RHS site too.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Thanks for posting that

i have a rambler which, after it's 2nd year is growing out of its supports, that RHS site is just what I needed 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Happy to help.  Glad it was useful.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato