London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
15 messages
07/12/2013 at 09:47

Hi guys,

I know it's a long shot, and possibly the wrong time of year to ask, but does anyone have any pulmonaria that they're looking to get rid of, or just have surplus offcuts? My reason being I'm trying to create a whole bed of pulmonaria as my favourite plant, echinacea so have gone over, so I'm moving onto my favourite spring flowering plant now. Even seeds would do, as I can't find these anywhere. Does anyone know how to grow pulmonaria from seed with a high success rate? 

Thanks, Ry

07/12/2013 at 09:54

Hi Ry

seems like division or root cuttings are your best bet - why don't you invest in a couple of plants to start with and use them as your stock plants to get some more?

07/12/2013 at 11:27

It self seeds very easily as well as spreading naturally.  There are many variations of leaf form and flower colour available so I suggest you just go and buy a few of your favourites to start you off.

07/12/2013 at 16:16

Chiltern seeds sell 2 varieties of seed. I good coloured blue is Blue Ensign and I think there is a very nice white but you'd have to buy these as plants

07/12/2013 at 17:00

Sissinghurst White is gorgeous.  It seems a little less robust in my garden than some of the others. 

07/12/2013 at 18:35

Blue ensign for me.  Superb.  

Ryan, a whole bed of Pulmonarias would mean a bed of nothing in summer.  You don't want to interplant with something else?

07/12/2013 at 19:21

Thanks guys for your replies...

Chikcy and obelixx - I went to a GC today and bought the onoy one they had! Couldn't believe it, but it was in a 2 litre pot and half price at £3.50, so I snatched that one up quick! It was 'Diana Clare', which seemed alright

Izzy - Just checked them out and will possibly buy the seeds, just got to go look up some pictures of them

Dove - Have never seen that cultivar in the flesh, only heard people singing it's praises , like yourself, so I feel it could definitely be put round the border of the bed , so I can get very up close and admire it in all it's glory

Verdun - Well this was the thing, I did think about the dullness in summer briefly, but wasn't sure whether the foliage is still there? Att he gardens where I work, theif pulmonaria has all it foliage and I love it. What other plants would you suggest?

07/12/2013 at 20:05

Yes I know what you mean.  Some Pulmonarias retain their foliage well but others just died down. I always divide my plants in spring.

Off the cuff, how about grasses like stipa Tennuissima amongstthese Pulmonarias?  You mentioned echinaceas......I grow several of the newer....but more temperamental......varieties but Magnus purpureum and the white form would look good there too.  The Chyenne series has quite robust plants with colours of red, orange and yellow.  No summer drabness with this trio Ryan 

07/12/2013 at 20:16

Some pulmonarias have better leaves in summer than others. Cotton cool has nice silvered leaves. Margery fish and sissinghurst white have good spots. Pulmonaria rubra is very early and has nice red/pink flowers but the leaves are boring in summer. I have them under a deciduous shrub so they are forgotten about when the shrub is in full flower.

There will be lots in the garden centres in spring, you can split them after flowering to make more.

07/12/2013 at 20:20

Pulmonaria rubra isn't exciting but it never gets mildew which can be a drawback of pulmonariain summer

07/12/2013 at 20:25

I grow pulmonarias in a mixed shady bed with Dryopteris ferns and wild primroses - backed by rambling roses, honeysuckles and clematis which (hopefully),  will take the attention later in the season when the pulmonarias die down.

07/12/2013 at 20:41

I can recommend Trevi Fountains for it's fabulous foliage which is around pretty much all year  - almost like leopard spot pattern. I bought one plant years ago and have divided it numerous times so I now have loads of it in various parts of the garden. Plus, it will cope with pretty dry shade so really good for brightening up those troublesome dark shady corners. The flowers are the standard blue/ mauve - nothing spectacular, but the bees love it.

07/12/2013 at 23:58

Ryan, if you lived somewhat closer I'd give you some - I've been dividing them up but I could have spared some.  I don't know the names of the ones I have, but I think they're the common sort - the foliage lasted all summer and is only just wilting now despite a couple of frosts.  It came out really early too.

08/12/2013 at 17:37

2 years ago I had a small clump of pulmonaria about 6 inches in diameter. At any time of year, I just chop a bit off and move it elsewhere, then I give it plenty of water until it is established. It will grow where nothing else will grow - under leylandii, on an old tree stump, next to concrete paths etc and I reckon I now have about 14 square metres of the stuff!

08/12/2013 at 18:10

You can refresh pulmonaria foliage.  Once the spring flush of flowers is over just cut them back, liek you would a hardy geraniuml, give thema  scattering of pelleted chicken manure and a good drink and they'll grow fresh foliage and look good all summer.

email image
15 messages