Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pulmonaria! :)

Hi guys,

I know it's a long shot, and possibly the wrong time of year to ask, but does anyone have any pulmonaria that they're looking to get rid of, or just have surplus offcuts? My reason being I'm trying to create a whole bed of pulmonaria as my favourite plant, echinacea so have gone over, so I'm moving onto my favourite spring flowering plant now. Even seeds would do, as I can't find these anywhere. Does anyone know how to grow pulmonaria from seed with a high success rate? 

Thanks, Ry image

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Hi Ry

seems like division or root cuttings are your best bet - why don't you invest in a couple of plants to start with and use them as your stock plants to get some more?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

It self seeds very easily as well as spreading naturally.  There are many variations of leaf form and flower colour available so I suggest you just go and buy a few of your favourites to start you off.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • izzy8izzy8 Posts: 147

Chiltern seeds sell 2 varieties of seed. I good coloured blue is Blue Ensign and I think there is a very nice white but you'd have to buy these as plants

• Sissinghurst White is gorgeous.  It seems a little less robust in my garden than some of the others. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks guys for your replies...

Chikcy and obelixx - I went to a GC today and bought the onoy one they had! Couldn't believe it, but it was in a 2 litre pot and half price at £3.50, so I snatched that one up quick! It was 'Diana Clare', which seemed alright image

Izzy - Just checked them out and will possibly buy the seeds, just got to go look up some pictures of them image

Dove - Have never seen that cultivar in the flesh, only heard people singing it's praises , like yourself, so I feel it could definitely be put round the border of the bed , so I can get very up close and admire it in all it's glory image

Verdun - Well this was the thing, I did think about the dullness in summer briefly, but wasn't sure whether the foliage is still there? Att he gardens where I work, theif pulmonaria has all it foliage and I love it. What other plants would you suggest? image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Some pulmonarias have better leaves in summer than others. Cotton cool has nice silvered leaves. Margery fish and sissinghurst white have good spots. Pulmonaria rubra is very early and has nice red/pink flowers but the leaves are boring in summer. I have them under a deciduous shrub so they are forgotten about when the shrub is in full flower.

There will be lots in the garden centres in spring, you can split them after flowering to make more.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Pulmonaria rubra isn't exciting but it never gets mildew which can be a drawback of pulmonariain summer

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I grow pulmonarias in a mixed shady bed with Dryopteris ferns and wild primroses - backed by rambling roses, honeysuckles and clematis which (hopefully),  will take the attention later in the season when the pulmonarias die down.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.