Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pyrus calleryana chanticleer

Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Does anyone in the North East with years of experience growing Pyrus calleryana chanticleer? Mine is in its third year in my garden, the first year it did what it should but the next two years its flowered in winter. So far this year it's been okay, that is the flowers look nice, but last year all the flowers were burnt to black stubs. Have I just been unlucky? I've even grown some P. calleryana from seed for pollination so I could get fruit for the birds. Not much chance of that if they get burnt by frost in mid winter. image 

Oh, and what's this about it having autumn colour? Mine seems to think autumn is the time to think about putting on new growth. It couldn't be greener at the moment. Anyone got any experience with this tree at all?

• Hello,

I have seen this grown in pots in North East. Great Autumn colour about now and hangs on for ages. Never noticed the flowers but just looked online and saw spring. It is not like the past two years have even been simular weatherwise?

Don't know if that's any help?

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Thanks Lizness,

Yeah, the weather has been very strange. I've only lived up here in the north east since summer 2010 so everything is new and strange. The first year it did flower in spring. I bought it bare rooted at the start of 2011, It had been grown in Berkshire and acted to type the first year. I'm going to ditch it if it does this every year now it's up here though. We had a hard frost last night. I' haven't been down the bottom of the garden yet to see the damage it's done but I suspect the flowers will be burnt off, either way had I got a pollinating partner for it I doubt it would give any fruit for the birds flowering now. It may be destined for the chipper. Non-natives have to work very hard to keep a place in my garden. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I've got Pyrus communis that I take to be the wild ancestor of cultivated pear. Good blossom, concrete pears and autumn colour as well. Even this year it has some colour while the wild cherries and field maples, usually brilliant, are not this year. Maybe it's not too late but they've been thinned out in the gales and won't be as good as they can be.

In the sticks near Peterborough

HI Nut,

no, last year was better for Autumn colour here too. My Cornus Westonbirt was beautiful last year. I'd say they were just nice this year, though I've got berries on them this year since they flowered again late in the summer. 

I've got P. communis too. I'm afraid I've been hit by pear rust really badly this year though so they've been a rusty brown all year. image Here's the P.c. Chanticlear just a few minutes ago.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It's a bit confused Jim. If you like it I'd give it time to settle. But if you don't, then it's through the shredder

In the sticks near Peterborough

Yes, it's very confused. Maybe it's just stressed. I really don't know what I think about it to be honest. If someone could say mines a beaut, give it time then I'd be happy. image The worst thing is I leave it in an it's wood for the log pile in a few years. image

• If you do decide to get rid of it, and it's of any size at all, consider offering it to people who do woodturning etc - fruitwood is often very beautiful and makes desirable objects.  

Holly wood can be turned into wonderful bowls.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Yes, I used to give stuff like that to my neighbour, he had a lathe in the garage, but he just past away. It's not yet fit for anything other than stair rods. image